8 Great Novels To Read When It's Snowing Outside

Winter is here! It's that time of year when the wind blows right through your coat and sticks to your bones, and when you can't walk anywhere without hearing the crunching sound of snow under your feet.

Luckily, the chilly weather has arrived and we can all curl up in our warm beds, surround ourselves with blankets, and take a break from college stress. Here are 10 novels that are a perfect addition to any cozy, fluffy blanket cocoon.

1. "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak

Amazon

I'm won't lie; this novel is a hard one to read. It will leave you in tears, but the story is well worth the number of tissues you'll go through.

The story is about a young girl, Liesel, in the time of Nazi Germany. With her parents dead, she is cared for by foster parents who willingly take in and hide a Jew.

To cope with the time of war and the constant threat of being found, Liesel steals banned books and learns to read. Their words give Liesel something that has been absent in her life: hope.

2. "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern

Amazon

This book will have you captivated with its intricate details and its mysterious aura. The circus comes without warning, it is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

The Night Circus is the story of two star-crossed magicians who engage in a deadly game of wits and magic, spellbinding all those who come to see their show.

3. "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks

Amazon

Sorry, but this one is another tear-jerker! Be prepared to dive deep into heartbreak and a love that spans over decades.

"The Notebook" follows Noah Calhoun's and Allie Hamilton's love story from the moment they met as young teens, all the way into their late 80s, re-telling all their struggles, separations, and steamy moments that span a lifetime.

4. "The Shining" by Stephan King

Amazon

*insert shiver here* Now this novel will definitely make you want to burrow into your blankets. As a paranormal thriller, this story is bound to keep you turning the pages and intrigue you with its hidden easter eggs and little mysteries.

It follows a family, mainly a father, who is looking for work. He applies to work at a hotel in its offseason, where he and his family stay alone to housesit the hotel.

Not before long, strange things start to happen, people start to see things, and death always seems to be around the corner.

5. "The Golden Compass" by Phillip Pullman

Amazon

Be prepared to be taken back to your childhood with this story. Even though this novel's target audience are young teens, it is still a great story to read, especially when you have the time to escape to another world.

In this reality, young children and their familiars (or pet companions) are being kidnapped and mysteriously taken by the "Gobblers". Young Lyra and her familiar Pan are orphans and spontaneously get the opportunity to live with a powerful woman in the Magisterium, or the high court.

Soon they discover that their new guardian is as kind as she seems to be, and race to solve the mystery of the missing children.

6. "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis

Amazon

This novel is a classic story that my mom read to me when I was little (and watched the movie of course). If you want to feel a little nostalgic and settle back into your childhood, re-reading a book is a great way to get those feelings back.

This story follows four young kids in 1950 wartime London as they get sent away from their parents to a holding house. After a fun game of hide and seek, they find a hidden wardrobe that transports them to another world: Narnia.

It explores themes of betrayal and forgiveness, transformation, magic, good vs. evil, and the natural world (all good lessons every kid should be taught).

7. "Where the Forest Meets the Stars" by Glendy Vanderah

This novel is a heavy read. Not in length or word count, but emotionally. This book tackles the topic of love and analyzes the challenges that life throws in someone's path.

It also has themes that are meant to make you sit thinking about until you realize you're having an existential crisis. The story takes place in a cottage in the country with a cancer survivor named Jo.

She went off the grid to complete a research project on birds for her Ph.D., but instead finds a little girl who keeps coming back to her cottage every night.

With the help of her neighbor Gabe, who is suffering from depression and agoraphobia, Jo tries to find out why the girl keeps coming to her house, why she won't go home, and where her parents are.

But the only thing the girl will say when asked those questions is that she needs to see five miracles before returning to the stars.

"The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg

Amazon

It's never too early to start celebrating Christmas right? It's the holiday season so of course I had to include a festive and traditional book to the list.

"The Polar Express" is a classic picture book, movie, and handed down story that always puts me in a merry mood.

The story of the spirit of Christmas is a great way to end the day or bring up those warm and fuzzy feelings on a cold winter evening. Don't forget to grab some hot coco to go with it!

Related Articles Around the Web