Christmas has past and the new year is quickly approaching. All of us have things that we would like to do or change when that clock strikes 12 a.m. on January 1st and we dive head first into 2017. So, what kinds of things are you going to change? What resolutions are you even going to make? There are a lot of little things you can do that will make a difference in who you are during the year. Here are 10 of them:
1. Stop doing what you hate, and do something you love.
2. Exercise 30 minutes each day.
We all say this every year, I know, but 30 minutes is not that long in the grand scheme of things. Just take that time to do some sit ups, jumping jacks, go for a jog or a walk, or just stretch at first.
3. For each glass of soda, sweet tea, alcohol, juice, etc. that you have, drink a glass of water too. Slowly drink water instead of those drinks.
For some, it is hard to cut sugary drinks out of a diet. So this idea should help you stick to that resolution of no more soda!
4. Instead of grabbing that bag of chips every day, get some fruits and vegetables for your snack at least three times a week.
5. Do not let people walk all over you, but remember to be nice.
It is important that you stand up for yourself and that you say no sometimes, but make sure that you do not become overly mean. Be stern, but also be nice to people. Acts of kindness are great things.
6. Spend some time every week or month (depending on your schedule) for some time with your friends.
Your friends are people who want to be there for you. Spend time with them this year. Or meet some new friends.
7. Take an hour every day for you.
I do not know what self-care looks like for you, but take an hour everyday to take care of yourself. Write in a journal, take a nap, or just breathe. You deserve to breathe.
8. Quite simply, take time to surround yourself with loved ones.
Whether it is with your friends, family, or friends that have become family, it is so important to surround yourself with people who love you and that you love.
9. Treat yourself every once and awhile. You deserve it.
Treating yourself does not have to mean shopping, but for a lot of people it is. So just make sure you treat yourself sometimes. Buy a book, eat some cake, whatever treating yourself means to you.
10. Go outside and take a walk.
You can take a walk alone, or with someone else, but just take a walk. Take a little bit of time this year to enjoy nature and see what it has to offer you.
These things may help make you happier this year too! Good luck with what you choose to do--resolutions and otherwise. I promise you that if you break them up the right way, you can do them. Happy New Year!