With Trump's first few days in office behind us, I wanted to look back on the last eight years of the Obama administration. Michelle Obama, our former First Lady, made many memorable speeches over the last eight years. Especially this year, she continued to urge younger generations to learn about the world and fight for what they believe in to create true change. While she may no longer be our First Lady, here are some amazing quotes from Michelle Obama that we all need to remember:
1) "You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world's problems at once, but don't ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own."
2) "There are still many causes worth sacrificing for; so much history yet to be made."
3) "You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it's important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages."
4) "You don't have to be somebody different to be important. You're important in your own right."
5) “We should always have three friends in our lives. One who walks ahead, who we look up to and follow; one who walks beside us, who is with us every step of our journey; and then, one who we reach back for and bring along after we’ve cleared the way.”
6) “You can’t make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen."
7) “To the young people here, and the young people out there: do not ever let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t matter, or like you don’t have a place in our American story—because you do. And you have a right to be exactly who you are. But I also want to be very clear: this right isn’t just handed to you. No, this right has to be earned every single day. You cannot take your freedoms for granted.”
8) “When you are struggling, and you start thinking about giving up, I want you to remember something that my husband and I have talked about since we first started this journey nearly a decade ago—something that has carried us through every moment in this White House and every moment of our lives—and that is the power of hope. The belief that something better is always possible if you’re willing to work for it and fight for it.”
9) “I want our young people to know that they matter. That they belong. So don’t be afraid. Do you hear me? Young people, don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered. Empower yourselves with a good education. Then get out there and use that education to build a country worthy of your boundless promise. Lead by example with hope, never fear, and know that I will be with you, rooting for you and working to support you for the rest of my life.”
10) “Being your First Lady has been the greatest honor of my life, and I hope I’ve made you proud.”
Michelle Obama, thank you for being a role model and inspiration for myself and millions of other girls for the last eight years. You will be missed.