10 Life Lessons To Learn From Harry Potter

A tribute to those who love The Boy Who Lived and his journey.

687

Harry Potter, like most fans know, is monumental. The storyline and the characters are intriguing, but more importantly, you can’t help but fall in love with the magic of the series. It is not every day that you find a collection of books that takes you so deeply into another world that you feel yourself become a part of the story. To all those kids, teenagers and adults that have taken this journey along with Harry, this is for you.

1. Love is the strongest, most effective weapon we have; it never dies, even when people do.

This is shown in the way that Lily Potter loved her son, giving him the protection he needed against Voldemort. It’s in the way that Snape loved Lily all of his life, after her death and up until his own, all summarized with one word; “Always.” If you can love, fully and wholeheartedly, you already hold one of the greatest powers against any bad that can come your way.

2. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Just like those wise words spoken by Dumbledore in the Prisoner of Azkaban, it is a statement that serves as a universal truth. Harry proves time and time again through each tragedy he faces, that no matter how bad life can get you can always find a reason to be happy, and that reason should drive you to keep going no matter the situation.

3. We can’t change what has happened in our past, but we can change our future and learn from our mistakes.

We tend to let our pasts define us, but that doesn’t mean it necessarily has to shape the course of our lives. Harry’s past could have shaped him into a horrible person, but instead of letting it affect him he made the choice to attend Hogwarts and became the wonderful person his parents always wanted him to be. In the end, we can either run from our past or learn from it.

4. Sometimes the people you would never expect to be friends with end up becoming your best friends for life.

In the Sorcerer’s Stone we see Ron and Harry not being able to stand Hermione. They would endlessly mock and tease her, but before they knew it a bond had forged between them and their hatred turned into a friendship that would last them a lifetime. It is like the saying says, “Never judge a book by its cover.” You never know how good a person can be for you until you give them a chance.

5. We are never really alone because the ones we love never truly leave us.

It’s like Sirius told Harry in the Prisoner of Azkaban, “The ones that love us never really leave us, you can find them here (in your heart).” When you love someone and they love you, it is important to know that they will never truly be gone. They will leave an imprint on your heart just as you will do to them. No amount of time, distance or circumstance can ever change that.

6. Never let anyone belittle you as a person, ever.

Hermione teaches us this lesson over and over, making her such an admirable character. Draco Malfoy is always belittling her for being Muggle-born yet she lets it drive her to be the best she can be. It is what makes her the top of her class, determined and focused, but mostly extremely loved. She gives Harry Potter fans the strength to believe in themselves for who they are without letting anyone deter them from that.

7. It is important to face your fears because they will help you grow as a person.

It isn’t every day that we are told to venture out of our comfort zones, but sometimes it benefits us more than it hurts us. It’s like when Ron, albeit having a fear of spiders, follows them into the forest in Chamber of Secrets leading to the truth about what the monster really is. Sometimes we have to do things that we are not comfortable with, but once we do them we never know, something good can come out of it.

8. Never be afraid to stand up for what you believe in.

Harry Potter shows us how standing up for your beliefs is important. Neville is a character who develops a lot throughout the series. From the scared little boy he was in Sorcerer’s Stone, he has become more confident leading him to be a force to reckon with in Deathly Hallows. He believed in the good, even if it meant fighting his own friends, and did whatever he could to build himself up.Our beliefs are sometimes the most important things that we have, so we should never let the fear of being ridiculed stand in our way.

9. Money isn’t everything.

We learn this explicitly and entirely from the Weasley family. They teach us that friends, family and love are the most important things in life. With little money, they still remain a loving and generous family. In contrast, the Malfoy’s have a whole lot of money yet are cold, mean and lonely. Harry Potter teaches us the important lesson that money does not buy you happiness, no matter how much of it you have.

10. Magic is most definitely real.

Harry Potter proves to all its readers regardless of age, race or gender that magic is in everything. It’s the little things in life which are truly more magical than we give them credit for, we just have to believe in it. People, events, your favorite book or even your own pet can bring a variety of different magic into your life, and all you have to do is open your eyes to the things that are right in front of you. As long as you believe in the magic, you will be able to see it anywhere.

The impact that Harry Potter has had is one that so many other authors try to copy, but in vain. The best part about this series is that J.K. Rowling so effortlessly weaves these life lessons and morals into the story that you feel yourself growing as a person alongside these characters. To the Boy Who Lived and taught us some of the most important things we know to date, we are forever grateful.