10 Life Lessons Learned From Watching College Football

Thank you college football!

80
flickr

Throughout my childhood, college football season played an importance in my household. Every family has a favorite team. In Texas those teams usually include either Texas A & M or UT, but in my house we cheered for Florida State University (FSU). A a young girl, I cheered the team along waving my garnet and gold pom-poms. Although I did not fully understand the game, I could tell when we were winning. As I continue to watch and now understand college football, I have learned more life lessons than football terminology. Here are 10 things I have learned while watching college football.

1. Any team can make a comeback

Sometimes in life we feel like we are in a slump. We may be down by two touchdowns, a field goal, or a two-point conversion, but comebacks are possible. We see it in games week after week. A team is down the entire game and comeback and win the game in the last quarter or last minutes. In the Tennessee vs UGA game this year (2016), Tennessee scores a 51-yard touchdown in the last few seconds to secure a 28-24 win.

Comebacks are always possible in our lives as well no matter how far behind we may seem. Never give up.

2. Momentum is crucial

Momentum drive the game. The team with the momentum is more likely to win. It is seen in all games. One team usually holds the momentum at a time, and it often shifts throughout the game. However, if you have the momentum, it is contagious throughout the team and better plays are likely to follow.

In life momentum is vital too. When we are more accepting of good and positive outcomes, it seems as we receive these as a result.

3. Underdogs can win

Underdogs seem to come to games with more "fire" and heart because there is simply more to gain. We see it week after week, top ten teams fall from losing to lower ranked teams.

This is apparent in our everyday lives as well. People with less qualifications or experience may come out ahead because they have more desire for a certain position or work harder to achieve it. If you are younger, less experienced, or less knowledgable do NOT let it stop you from achieving and reaching your goals

4. Predications can be irrelevant

We track different teams and predict winners and outcomes based on players, past games, and rankings, but we can often be wrong. Mistakes can happen, injuries can occur, and unforeseen circumstances can result shifting our predictions in the wrong way.

In life predications are irrelevant as well. You can be predicted to succeed or predicted to fail, but ultimately you determine the final outcome. You can prove people wrong! Do NOT let predications affect your performance!

5. Practice makes perfect

After listening to different post-game speeches by players and coaches, I have realized the importance their practice has played in their performance. You will here coaches say, "We practiced for a hard defense, so when they challenged our offense we knew how to adjust and break through". On the other hand, you hear the contrary in which teams have bad practices, and it affects their game day performance.

This is true in our school and work life. The more you study or the more you practice a pitch before a business meeting the more success you will receive.

6. Hard work exceeds talent

We have all heard the famous quote from Tim Notke, "Hard works beats talent when talent fails to work hard". The quote is evident in college football when you see big teams play cheap teams. What we all expected to be a blow out game ends with a small margin win. How does this happen?? Talent forgets to work hard. Cocky exceeds confidence and the work put into other games seems to fade away.

In our everyday lives we can get cocky on an exam, job, or interview and forget that key aspect of hard work that is necessary in any situation. Confidence is important to propel our hard work into visible talent, but do not confuse the two.

7. Fans will always stand by their team

Of course there are the band-wagon fans, but true fans never leave their team. If you ask older individuals when they started liking their team, they will respond saying since they grew up. A majority of people continue to cheer during good years and bad years. True fans will continue to support regardless of the rank or season.

In life, our fans are our family and friends. Whether rain or shine, they are by our side supporting and encouraging us. Didn't get the job, that's okay you will get the next one. Through disappointments and great triumphs you can also count on family and friends to share these moments with.

8. People want you to fail

As we cheer for our respective teams, we want other teams to lose. It is inevitable. Everyone wants their team to win, make it to the playoffs, and win that championship trophy. The only way that is possible is for your team to move up the ranks which means other teams need to lose and you need to continue to win. When teams ranked higher than yours lose, you cheer because you just moved up.

This is the driving force for competition in school, work, and life. People want you to fail because they want that upper hand. They want the scholarship, internship, or graduate program spot. Failure is unavoidable, so pick yourself up and try again. Try harder. Push through. You can do it!

9. Team/Family means everything

As I watch the games, it is clearly visible the relationship between teammates after they high-five on good games and give each other pep talks after an incomplete pass. They have created such an immense bond between each other and rely on each other. This bond translates to their success and how they carry on with tough losses. They support one another and call themselves a family.

This ideology is similar to ordinary life. It is important to remember family means everything during good and bad days.

10. Have faith

Teams have faith in each other as a team and in themselves. As fans, we have faith in our teams. Faith that they will pull through or score that touchdown. Faith that they will have a good season or move up in the poll. Regardless of the outcome good fans never lose faith.

It is important to have this same belief everyday. Have faith in yourself and how far you have come. Have faith in your abilities and strengths. Have faith in your family, your friends, your classmates. Have faith that things will turn out they way they are meant to. Never lose faith!

As your life may occasionally seem like a Hail Mary pass or field goal attempt to secure the win, don't forget the life lessons learned from college football. Don't Give up! You will win this!!! You got this! Your fans are rooting! We all believe! Don't lose the faith!