10 Things I've Learned In My First Week Of College

College is definitely worth it, kids.

11
Regan Wright

I've moved in, received my first free t-shirt, printed at least 25 pages of syllabi, and have gone to the wrong building for class multiple times. Although I've embarrassed myself many, many times (particularly by being able to fill a bucket up with sweat walking to class), that's what I like to call a very successful first week of college. Especially when you see your life flash before your eyes when a biker is inches away from potentially running you over, but let me tell you, college is definitely worth it, kids. Since I feel like I have this whole college thing figured out, I've put together 10 things that I've learned that I think will be beneficial to every incoming college freshman to know, or even current freshman to gain knowledge of. Take notes, people.

1. Coffee will be an everyday necessity.

By day 4, I basically had a coffee infusion, and now it's the only thing running through my veins. It'll get you through those early morning classes, and those late nights doing homework. You need it to survive, no questions.

2. Dressing up = nah

If you didn't think you couldn't get lazier than you already are, you're wrong. When it comes to actually looking presentable, that's a no go. College attire is usually what you slept in or something close to it. You don't need a full face of makeup, or curled hair. Nobody judges you here, it's wonderful.

3. FaceTime your family erryday.

You think you're invincible coming into this, but you're not. You'll miss your family more than you think. It doesn't hurt to give them a FaceTime call after class or before bed. Just know that'll make their day just as much as it'll make yours. They miss you too!

4. Early classes SUCK.

Whatever you do, don't enroll in early classes. Just because you did it in high school doesn't mean you can do it in college. Sleep is a very rare thing, so sleep in if you can. Seriously though, don't do early classes.

5. Planners will save your life.

I cannot stress enough how important planners are. They keep you organized in the mist of the the craziness college brings into your life. The cool thing is, is that you can schedule people in who want to hang out with you. Yeah, be that person.

6. Exercise is the best stress reliever.

Exercising and maintaining your health is something you need to keep track of. It's a great stress reliever, especially the first week when your life is the craziest its ever been. Staying healthy, in shape, and stress free is 10 times better than the freshman 15. Am I right, or am i right?

7. You live by your syllabus and only your syllabus.

I don't care if you have 20 pages of syllabus for one class, you are going to print that sucker out, and you're going to read it word for word. This is now your mother, your father, your everything. You do what it says no matter what.

8. You don't need to wash your hair everyday.

Again, people here in the wonderful world of college do not care what you look like. Dry shampoo the heck out of your hair, or even throw on a hat. Your hair will be the least of your worries.

9. BIKERS WILL FIND YOU, AND THEY WILL KILL YOU.

This is not a false statement. You'll be minding your own business, and out of nowhere they'll almost run you over. Like I said earlier, your life will certainly flash before your eyes, and you'll never trust a person on a bike ever again. 90% of the time you're walking to class and it'll be a constant battle. I'm not exaggerating. Be careful out their, kids.

10. BE YOURSELF!

As cliche as it sounds, just be yourself! Everyone is going through the same things you're experiencing. Everybody is trying to make friends just like you. Just be you and be cool.

I have learned more than I did in my 4 years of high school in just the first week of college, not just academically speaking, but socially speaking. It's safe to say just in about 7 days, I feel like I have conquered everything life can throw at me, which is totally not true, it just feels like it, okay? Trust me. Obviously this is just some things I've learned and have found to be important. Remember these things when you step foot on campus. You can thank me later.