10 Skincare Products for Combination Skin Types

It includes American and Korean beauty products which is the best of both world!

4548
Xiao Wen Ju

When I came back home from China and South Korea last summer, I broke out like crazy, especially on my cheeks. So from then, I have spent time researching into a routine that’ll work best to help me with my skin. Part of my skincare routine comes from the 10 step (YES, TEN STEPS) Korean skincare routine, and the other parts are products that have been recommended by some of my favorite Youtubers. Through curating, I’ve found 10 products that I use, most on a daily basis with few that I use every other day. I’ve put them into the order of how I would use them to take off a day of makeup.

*Writer’s note: My personal skin type is a combination of oily in the t-zone and dry on the highest parts of my face. During the winter time, it was mostly dry, though. I also think of skincare as an investment, so many of these products may not necessarily be budget-friendly, especially for college students, but if you can invest in your products, your skin will thank you!

1. Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Day Tint ($48)

Okay, technically this isn’t a skincare product, but it is the BB cream that I use on a daily basis. It doesn’t have much coverage but it will help with any moderate color disfiguration in the skin; it also gives a very healthy glow. If I need more coverage on certain days, then I'll mix in a couple of drops of my Nars Sheer Glow foundation (which personally for me, I find to be more on the matte side then the dewy side.) Side note, this is the one and only color, so obviously, this isn't the best product for a variety of skin tones.

2. Banila Co. Clean It Zero ($16)

A product which satisfies the first step of the 10 step Korean cleansing process the Banila Co. Clean It Zero, which is a sorbet balm that turns into an cream which takes off your makeup The milky balm essentially melts off your makeup in a way that is easier to wash off with either water or wipe off with a facial towel. It might seem a bit excessive to do this routine if you’re used to just washing your face with face wash. However, this step makes sure that all the foundation, powders, and cream is not clogged in your pores and isn’t left over after you wash your face. There are also different formulas for different skin types!

FACIAL WASHES:

3. Origins Checks and Balances Frothy ($22)

This is the face wash that I have used consistently (like I’m on my second tube). The last time that I had finished the first tube, I had decided to try other face washes, but none were the like this one. It’s a cream face wash so it does keep your skin moisturized and not completely stripped of all natural oils, while still keeping your face clean. It’s just a very simple cream facial wash perfect for both morning and night.

4. Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser ($18)

I think for me, Glossier is one of those brands that I get captivated to buy their products solely for their packaging, but don’t initially think much of the product once I receive it. At first, the way that they facial wash didn’t foam was weird for me. There is also a very strong scent of rose that I wasn’t used to in all the other facial washes that I’ve tried. I also had to use a cleansing water just to double check that it had taken all my makeup on. But after using it for about 4 months (with a half bottle still left!), it’s really shown me that a facial wash doesn’t necessarily have to foam up to clean. It also moisturizes the skin in a very gentle way; I use this when my face is feeling particularly dry.

5. Dr. Jart+ Trans-foam Clay ($35 for 3, $15 for 1)

This is a clay mask/ face wash blend. Basically on days that I feel particularly lazy or if my skin feels dull, I'll take off my makeup and apply this mask, then sit (on top of the toilet) watching Youtube videos, insta-stories, etc for about 3-5 minutes. It drys like a regular clay mask and removes excess oil and cleanses pores when you apply water to wash it off, it transforms into a foaming cleanser. It's a great multi-tasking product for those who are not necessarily into multiple products.

EXFOLIATION (I use these products at least twice a week, or every other day):

6. Neogen Bio-Peel+ Lemon ($27)

I first saw this product in Korea, and it also comes in a wine version! It’s a chemical exfoliating pad mitten, but don’t worry the chemical aspect it’s not as scary as it sounds! The chemical is the latic acid the cleans out any pore-clogging impurities. It’s fairly gentle with a micro-net that really gets rid of any dead skin cells. I love this because it helps with textured skin, acne scars, and pigmentation in your skin.

7. Dr. G Brightening Peeling Gel ($28 on sale)

This one was via the recommendation of Arabelle Sicardi (an amazing freelance writer on all things beauty, perfume, and social issues). This peeling gel gently rubs off all the dead flaky skin for a brighter complexion and smaller pores. It's a cream-like gel, and when you rub it on your face, dirt and dead skin cells in the form of small white flakes roll off your skin. It also nourishes and keeps your skin moisturized. Some people are skeptical of the dead flakes as just the rolled off the product, but it is definitely the dead skin cells coming off!

MOISTURIZERS:

8. L’Occitane Comforting Cream- Light ($28)

I think a sign of a good product is when one repurchases it. This L’Occitane Comforting Cream was recommended by a Korean Youtuber based in Austrailia, Dasha Kim. It has the perfect lightness while still keeping the skin moisturized. I highly recommend it for those with both oily and dry skin because it quickly absorbs into your skin and doesn’t leave a greasy film. There also isn’t a strong fragrance; it’s just very light and fresh. For the amount that is in the jar and the price, it’s definitely worth it!

9. Glossier Super Bounce ($65 for 3/ $28 for 1)

When I first heard of the Super Packs, I was so excited. I assumed it was like a facial oil, but in reality, it’s a serum. So when these were released at a fairly reasonable price, I had to get one. There are three different ones all focusing on a different purpose. The Super Glow is for brightening dull skin, the Super Pure is for calming acne-prone skin and redness, and the Super Glow is for softening dry and tight skin. I suffered from dryness, so I bought the Super Bounce. When I had first received it, I didn’t really think too much of it. The bottle isn’t that big, so after a month and a half of having it, I’m almost done, The formula is very liquidy, almost like water, but it does claim that you can use it before makeup, so the water-like texture makes it easier for your skin to soak up. Overall I do like it; I’m just not sure I’d buy it again because I want to try out the other ones.

P.S. Definitely look for coupon codes from Glossier's representatives to save money!

10. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater ($12)

I’m pretty sure I’ve gone through about 3 bottles of these because I use it for everything, after I apply all my makeup and powders, after my skincare routine, before I sleep, and just whenever I feel like I need a refresher. It has a light scent that won’t irritate your face (or your nose). It sets your makeup, so it gives you that I just took a two-hour nap and my skin is glowing look. It adds an extra layer of hydration which plumps your skin, so the next morning your face is fresher.

Now, these products are what has worked best for me. I highly recommend that you find your skincare routine that works best for you. I just wanted to mention that breakouts and pimples are not a bad thing, neither is discoloration and pigmentation in your skin. Your skin is your skin, and it'll naturally be how it will be. I just believe that your skin will appreciate all that you invest in it, now and in the future.

Cheers.