10 Things To Do Instead Of Checking Social Media

Here are some productive ways to spend your day, instead of check social media.

16276

We live in a very electronically focused world. If you were to sit in a populated area such as a park, coffee shop, or restaurant, 98 percent of the people there would be on their phones. Don't get me wrong, I love Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat with all my heart just like any other teenager. It's how we keep up with friends and family that might be far away and if I'm being honest, I get half of my jokes off of Twitter. However, if you take the time to notice how often people are checking their phone, you will see it is a problem. If I had a dollar for overtime I heard someone say "I can't live without my phone," or "I haven't checked my (insert social media platform here) in an hour, I am so lost," I would be able to buy a new phone. (Irony intended) In this electronically focused world, we are forgetting how to interact face to face and with the world around us.

So here's a few things to do instead the next time you feel the urge to spend 30 minutes checking ALL those Snapchat stories of people you barely even know or scrolling through your ridiculously long Twitter feed to find your next joke:

1. Talk to your friend face-to-face instead.

There is something so sweet about meeting a friend for coffee or lunch instead of texting them. By putting your phone down for an hour and talking to a friend, you learn so much about them such as what they've been going through lately, how they see the world, and maybe, if you're lucky, they'll tell you who that boy or girl is they've been crushing on. You will leave this conversation more blessed than you could have ever been by simply texting them.

2. Talk to a person you don't know.

I know what you're thinking, "wow. WHAT?! No way." I know that waiting in line at the store, getting your nails done, or getting your hair cut is the prime time to check your phone, but you will do yourself a favor if you just put that phone down. Yes, talking to people you don't know can be extremely awkward, but it can also bless your day more than you thought. There are amazing people in the world that you have yet to meet. And even if you may never see them again or the conversation goes nowhere, it is an afternoon better spent than checking social media. Even if that simple conversation meant nothing to you, it very well could have meant the world to them.

3. Exercise

OK, I know I'm asking a lot of you here. Talking to people you don't know AND exercising WHAT? But trust me, you will feel so healthy and successful after exercise. And I'm not talking like five miles, or intense body builder stuff. That's some hard stuff. I mean if that's your cup of tea, more power to you, but a simple bike ride or run through your neighborhood or doing some yoga in your room can make you feel so much better about yourself and your day.

4. Buy a coloring book.

OK, I know we're not in kindergarten anymore, but bear with me here. I bought a coloring book at the beginning of this semester with lots of cute motivational sayings and pretty flowers and stuff like that in it. It might seem childish, but let me tell you it is the most peaceful thing. By putting your phone away for 30 minutes and grabbing a coloring book and coloring pencils, you enter a new realm of creativity, peace, and simplicity. You'll walk away less stressed out than you might have been before. Not to mention now you have a pretty rad picture you just colored. Show that thing off. You deserve to.

5. Listen to music.

Music is such a beautiful thing. It expresses emotion in a way simple words never could and by listening to it, you may learn things out about yourself and your emotions you never knew. So put that phone down and listen to a song. Go crazy. Have a dance party even.

6. Read a book

WOW a book? I haven't seen one of those in forever. That's probably what you're thinking right now and that's OK; that's what I thought when I started having to read more often in college. Reading a good book is an amazing, peaceful way to spend your time that has seemed to be forgotten about over the years. Yes, a book is a little longer than 150 characters. I know that's not what you're used to, but you won't regret it.

7. Go out and enjoy nature.

The world is so big and beautiful and so much of it we have not seen because we are too easily satisfied with material goods. When I say go out and enjoy nature I do NOT mean take a picture of the sky, slap on a filter, insert some motivational quote, and sit by waiting for your likes to roll in on Instagram. The sky does not need a filter. The ocean does not need a filter. The world around us is beautiful on it's own and ready to be explored by you. Soak up some sun and admire the wonders of the world.

8. Get to know yourself.

I know that sounds a little odd, but we learn something new about ourselves everyday. Now that I am away for college, there are things I am learning about myself that I never would have known by staying in the comfort of my own home. Through soul-searching, you learn your passions, pet peeves, things that you need to work on, and things that you like about yourself. It's important to know what you love about yourself. It's also important to look at yourself critically and see what should be changed because no one is perfect. Sitting down and getting to know yourself is far more beneficial than finding fulfillment based on how many likes your latest selfie gets on Instagram.

9. Spend time with God.

God has lovingly created us to make our own choices in life. Often that choice we make is to ignore Him for the latest gossip on Twitter and new filters on Snapchat. If we simply put our phone away for an hour to spend time with God, we will be better for it and we will learn more about our Creator.

10. Be productive.

Let me tell you, it feels so good to be able to check stuff off of my to do list. Whether it be cleaning your room, doing homework, laundry, dishes, or making your bed, you will feel SO much better after knowing you now have one less thing to stress about. I'll be the first to admit, I sit around on Twitter for 30 minutes procrastinating homework. I will also be the first to admit I regret that decision when I have to cram for class at the last minute.

I know this is a lot of stuff and looking at Instagram is much easier, but trust me, it's worth it in the long run. So put down that phone and go soak up life. It'll be OK, those snapchat filters and all that pointless Twitter drama will still be there when you get back.