10 Insightful Realizations After Freshman Year Of College

If you wanna burger, eat a burger.

179
Colleen Ruffin

Around this time last year I was shopping for prom dresses, ordering my cap and gown, and purchasing some boujee high heels to strut in as I walked across the stage on graduation day. With a blink of an eye the most exciting yet nerve wrecking day had finally arrived: freshman year of college move in day. There are no words to describe the feeling of finally being on my own because not only did I feel those little butterflies in my stomach, I felt the whole damn forest. About 8 long months later, countless all-nighters and a handful of justified mental breakdowns, I did it. I completed my freshman year with flying colors and many potential lifelong friendships that I have made along the way. With this being said, freshman year is arguably the best a$$ kicking we all need at some point in life. It blows my mind to think about the lessons I've learned throughout these past months and how much I have grown as a young woman, all thanks to college! Here are 10 important lessons and realizations that your freshman year of college will teach you.

1. No one is expecting you to have your life mapped out after freshman year

Don't let those pesky, "What are you going to do with your life?" questions overwhelm you. There is absolutely no pressure here! Don't feel like you have to know exactly what you want to do with your life or what major you want to take on. There is so much time for you to explore your interests and find what you're truly passionate about. Picking a major that will guarantee money, may not guarantee happiness. Money follows talent and a fancy major, this is true, but it also follows passion, integrity, and character. The reflection of your passion and work ethic will be found in the work you produce, so if you genuinely love what you do then it will help you stand out amongst the rest and the hard work will pay off. But trust me, you have more than enough to figure it all out.

2. Being homesick is normal

Moving away to college is a huge adjustment; no one expects you to handle it like a pro! There isn't a college handbook and there are no rules. I've made friends from all across the country who dealt with homesickness better than I did. It all depends on the person, but remember that your new surroundings will soon feel like home and you'll never want to leave.

3. Know the difference between having fun and happiness

It is easy to mistake having fun being truly happy about life because having fun is a temporary satisfaction that only lasts a few hours. True happiness exists when you're laying in bed on a Sunday morning scrolling through social media and you think to yourself, "I am happy and content with how my life is right now." Focusing on yourself and making sure that you're truly happy to your core is so important, especially in college. Parties, wine Wednesday, tailgates, etc. are all great and I encourage everyone to participate obviously! But just make sure at the end of the day that you can lay down and genuinely feel really happy because happiness truly takes you far in life.

4. First impressions are everything

College is a place full of diversity: different cultures, races, religions, personalities, etc. You truly never know what connections you will be making or who can hook you up with an awesome internship over the summer, so make sure you're greeting everyone with a smile and respect.

5. If you wanna burger, eat a burger

Listen, I love food, and so does everyone else and their mama. So I am here to dispel the freshman 15 myth and serve some real life advice if you want to keep that figure of yours. The dreaded freshman 15 consists of 4 key habits: beer drinking, eating late at night, stress eating, and the munchies. The cafe won't make you fat (as long as you make reasonable choices of course) so girl... eat that burger, you won't gain 10 pounds over night. Besides, you probably deserve it anyways after the hell of a week you most likely had.

6. Eliminate toxic relationships

It is crucial to preserve your energy, your mental, and your peace. Some relationships in life can rob you of these delicate qualities without us even realizing it's happening. College is the time to have the most fun and to adventure out and experience life as an individual. It's hard to enjoy all that college has to offer if a toxic relationship is holding you back, whether that be a boyfriend, girlfriend, or a childhood friend. Trust me: there are thousands of people that will fill your soul with peace, your belly with laughs, and your mental with positive thoughts. Gravitate towards the people who make you feel your happiest and it'll be much easier to eliminate those unhealthy relationships that are taking those good vibes away from you.

7. Being physically sick sucks

You don't realize how much you took your loved ones for granted, until you get sick at college and you have to take care of your own self. Moms not there to call you in sick or bring you soup in bed so taking shots of DayQuil and eating really crappy ramen becomes your newfound salvation.

8. Being selfish is a good thing, YES, I said a good thing

Relationships within your life are constantly changing and are all completely different from each other as well. However, it is fairly easy to focus on everyone else, but yourself... And the relationship you have with yourself is just as important as any other. Saying "no" to things you don't want to do or turning your phone off for a few hours is OK! Freshman year of college is a constant adjustment and it can be easy to lose yourself, when all you really want to do is find yourself and your purpose. So being selfish every once and a while will keep your mind, body and soul in tune with each other which will help to secure the relationship you have with yourself.

9. Social media is the devil

Lemme set one thing straight: social media only shows the good part of someones life, don't get it twisted! Don't let FOMO stop you from sleeping at night; there will be another party with the same exact music, the same exact people, and the same exact cheap alcohol next weekend. It's okay to miss out! Being comfortable with your own solidarity is extremely satisfying and fulfilling. So put that face mask on and binge watch a T.V. show you've already seen a 100 times, you'll thank yourself.

10. You will graduate. You will get a job. You will find love. You will be happy.

At the end of the day, everything is going to be alright! There's no rush to prove yourself to anyone; take your time and enjoy each day for what it has to offer.