10 Healthy Recipes You Can Make Right In Your Dorm

Quick, easy recipes to help you avoid late night.

65

Trying to eat healthy in college can be really difficult; there's no one to monitor what you're eating and often times freshman have unlimited meal plans which can be dangerous. Stress from classes as well as the social scene can make many people "eat their feelings"; it happens to the best of us, but at least try and eat healthy foods. Cooking in your dorm room may seem hard and like it would take awhile, but there are many recipes that require few ingredients and utensils that will taste great and make you feel great.

1. Overnight oats

images.pexels.com

Overnight oats are super easy to make, especially with limited space and ingredients, making them the perfect dorm room breakfast. You can find a really great recipe for them here: https://www.liveeatlearn.com/the-basics-of-overnig...

2. Frozen yogurt bark with pomegranate and dark chocolate

upload.wikimedia.org

If you're looking to eat healthy but still get that sweet flavor, this is a really good recipe to try. You can either follow the recipe and put pomegranate and dark chocolate or substitute for other healthy options that better fit your palate. Here's the recipe: https://www.liveeatlearn.com/frozen-greek-yogurt-b...

3. Microwave scrambled eggs

upload.wikimedia.org

This is the perfect recipe for if the dining hall doesn't have eggs that are cooked to your preference. You can also add whatever toppings you like; it's basically an omelet you can make in your microwave for whenever you don't feel like walking to the dining hall or just want to make your own food. The recipe can be found here: https://www.iheartnaptime.net/microwave-scrambled-...

4. Vegetarian burrito bowl

c1.staticflickr.com

If you're looking for Chipotle but don't feel like uber-ing or paying for it, you HAVE to try this recipe. It might even be better than a Chipotle bowl and it is much healthier. It only takes five minutes to make and uses minimal ingredients while still tasting great. There's a great recipe here: https://www.healthy-liv.com/5-minute-vegetarian-bu...

5. Frozen blueberry bites

This is a healthy snack that is perfect for everyone; it's dairy-free (based on the type of yogurt you use), gluten-free, raw, vegetarian, and vegan. If you don't like blueberries, you can substitute in another berry or any fruit really. It's super simple to make and provides for a great-tasting snack without the artificial sugars and flavors. The recipe can be viewed here: https://www.liveeatlearn.com/frozen-blueberry-bites/

6. Microwave potato chips

c1.staticflickr.com

These easy-to-make chips are relatively healthy but still pack a nice, crisp crunch to them. You can use any kind of potato you want, but fingerling potatoes tend to work the best. They only take about five minutes total to make and are the perfect snack for when you're craving a bag of potato chips while binging Netflix in your dorm. This is a great recipe for them: http://inspirationkitchen.com/easy-microwave-potat...

7. Chickpea, avocado, and feta salad

c1.staticflickr.com

This salad is packed full of protein, healthy fats, and great flavors. Using minimal ingredients, this fancy recipe will make you feel like you're dining in a 5-star restaurant as opposed to your dorm room. Find the amazing recipe here: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/chickpea-avocad...

8. Tomato toast with basil cream cheese

www.maxpixel.net

While this recipe is slightly harder to make in a dorm room because you need to toast the bread, it is totally worth it. You can also make this in most dining halls by toasting the slice of bread and either taking it back to your dorm to make or constructing it right there. This simple take on a classic bruschetta is fantastic; here's how to make it: https://abeautifulmess.com/2014/08/tomato-toast-ba...

9. Chocolate banana milkshake

cdn.pixabay.com

This is one of my favorite recipes, it tastes like chocolate banana ice cream but is super healthy. It only requires four ingredients and some sort of blender or food processor. It's worth the hassle of bringing an extra appliance for your dorm because it tastes like heaven. The recipe can be found at this link: https://abeautifulmess.com/2014/03/healthy-chocola...

10. Peanut butter chocolate chip chewy granola bars

c1.staticflickr.com

This seven ingredient recipe is super simple and a much healthier take on processed granola bars. It makes about ten bars and only requires a microwave and some parchment/wax paper. They're made relatively quickly but take 2 hours to cool in the fridge; it is well worth the wait. Here's the recipe: https://www.bakerita.com/dorm-life-eats-peanut-but...