10 Haunted Locations in Nebraska

10 Haunted Locations in Nebraska

whether true or not, that's up to you

2100
10 Haunted Locations in Nebraska
bloximages

It is officially October, and that means that the veil between the living and the dead is soon to be removed (or so they say). Whether these stories are true or not, that is up to you. Regardless, it is fun to know what lurks in the shadows at night in our hometowns according to common folklore. I hope you enjoy! Do you or anyone you know have any other stories you/they want to share? Comment below!

Lets begin:

1. Barnard Park , Fremont

Barnard Park was originally used as a cemetery for those who passed through on the Mormon Trail. The story goes that many people were buried here as their families left them there when passing through. However one mother, was so devastated that she stayed behind when she had to bury her daughter. The cemetery was eventually turned into a park, and most remains were relocated. However, since many of those who had died did not have gravestones, their locations were lost and were left there. Now, the ghost of the mother can be seen walking the perimeters of the park, as she cries and grieves her loss. Another ghost has been reported here. The ghost of an older man has been seen sitting and lying on the park bench. Many believe it is that of a homeless man. These ghosts can best be seen during the winter months. Several houses that surround the park have been claimed as haunted as well. Even though I lived here for many years, I never did make my way to the park, but I did hear many stories about strange shadows and footsteps that seemed to follow those who visited.

2. Hummel Park, Omaha

Hummel Park continues to be at the top of the charts for one of the most haunted locations in Nebraska. Many people will tell the story that lynch mobs hanged African Americans at one point, and that the trees going into the park still droop to this day. However, there is no evidence to support this claim. However, the story of the "Stairs to Hell," seems to be the one that attracts the most visitors. A set of stairs seems to change in the number of steps every time it is traveled. Those who have been there say that every time they go up and down the number of steps is never the same. Another story here is that a small community of albino people inhabit/inhabited the area and are the source of the strange sounds and sightings. Several bodies have been dumped in this park since the 50's making that at the very least, a reason for people to believe that this place is one to be avoided at night. One last story is that of the man who was hanged for stealing horses, and whose body was thrown over the bridge. The wife, swore to those men that her husband would make an appearance at every full moon. The story goes that they also killed her, and placed her head near her husband's body. On full moons, people report that they hear the faint cries and moans of a woman near where the bridge used to be. Along with those stories are those of satanic cults sacrificing animals and performing rituals, orbs and lights seen at a distance, and sightings of apparitions seen near the caretakers house.

3. The Portal School, Papillion

In the town of Portal, NE, just south of Papillion, sat an old schoolhouse. Originally known as the Portal School, now is called the Hatchet House, and the reasons for this are definitely justified. One day, the schoolteacher apparently lost her temper and decided to bring a Hatchet with her to her class. She decapitated all of her students one by one and put their heads on their desks for display. Then, she carved out their hearts and buried them underneath a nearby bridge, which locals later called "Heartbeat Bridge," because apparently when it was traveled, the sound of the students' heartbeats could be heard in the waters below. The school, due to frequent flooding, has been relocated to Papillion, which serves as the perfect trip location for many. Legend has it that if venture to the school late at night, you will feel the presence of the evil schoolteacher.

4. Seven Sisters Road, Near Nebraska City

This tale is a very descriptive one. During the late 19th century, a prominent farmer owned a great portion of land. When times became rough for those who lived in the town, the court decided to allow steamboats to cross through the Missouri river to bring goods into the city. The farmer was angry at this decision because the river ran through 2 miles of his land. He tried to fight the court, but to no avail. He then swore that he would seek revenge upon anyone who tried to pass through his land. Seeing that it made no difference and that even his sisters seemed to be against him, by trying to persuade him to sell the land or move, to prove a point, the farmer poisoned the water that the seven sisters drank, killing them all. He then slashed the throats of six of his sisters and hanged their bodies each from a tree over the hills. The last sister had a different ending. Her stomach had been slit open, and was found with her insides hanging out, in the mess another body was discovered; that of her fetus. It was discovered that she was 7 months pregnant at that time. The farmer was later executed for the murders. Now, there have been multiple reports of paranormal activity around this area. Among the reports are stories of cars inexplicably stopping for no reason, car lights dimming, electronics' batteries going dead, and the wails of multiple women people believe are of the sisters. Near the road is the Camp Creek Cemetery where the sisters are buried along with the farmer. Although there is no record of the sister's baby being buried here, reports state that the cries of a baby have been heard as well.

5. University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln

Oldfather Hall: On Halloween of 1983, philosophy professor Hardy Jones, grieving his recent divorce and fear of losing his son, plunged to his death out of the 10 story building. This story is actually true. However whether or not his ghost remains, is unverified.

Temple Building: This building is rumored to be the most haunted on the UNL campus. Julie Hagemeier, theater department general manager, says that the students in the department are aware of the friendly ghosts. The first one is believed to be of Dallas Williams, who during 1944-1971 held the position of department chairman and professor. When he taught, he was a bit on the wild side. Former students knew him as the professor who threw chairs in the classroom. According to some students, who work late, the sound of chairs being thrown around in empty classrooms is common. In addition to Dallas, the ghost of a young girl seems to haunt the prop attic. Hagemeier said, "once, the crew needed a doll for "Women in Black," a play in which a ghostly woman carries a doll that represents her dead child. Taking apart various dolls, the crew left the attic in disarray after creating the "perfect doll." When the crew returned to the locked attic someone had aligned the dolls' parts and placed the matching heads with the bodies." Hagemeier says that she has experienced paranormal oddities herself. Once, a large costume donation went missing from a locked storage room. There was only one key and it had been hidden. She and her students had to look around the entire building only to find the articles of clothing oddly strung around and some had been mutilated. Other reports of ghostly apparitions have occurred including a shadowed figure in the locked sound room, and lights are turned on and off.

Neihardt Hall: Now a residence hall, Neihardt was used as an infirmary for those who were dying during a polio outbreak during the 30s and 40s. Spirits of the deceased are rumored to haunt the space. Lola Young, residence life services supervisor, reported that a ghost believed to be a 'she,' still haunts the hall. The ghost is believed to be the one who stacks loose change in two different safes which are located in the Raymond section of the building. She said that the ghost stacks the nickels in the safe in her office, while the dimes are piled high in the dining services safe. Josh Deacon, Neihardt residence director, said one room in the Love section of Neihardt third floor is still visited by the ghost of a young patient. During the polio outbreak, this patient could not go outside, so she would open the curtains to the window so she could see outside, now when the curtains are left closed, those tending the area find them to be mysteriously opened on their own. Along with that ghost is another young girl who making scraping noises on the ceiling, and there are other noises heard such as a guitar in the basement.

6. Plumer House, Maxwell

This house is believed to be one of the most haunted houses in Nebraska. Built in the 1800s, it has been the site of at least 4 deaths. Some say that it was the source of torture for children and always gave a negative vibe. The first death was that of a young boy who tripped down the stairs as he tried to escape and broke his neck, dying instantly. The second was another boy who hanged himself in the parlor from the light fixture, yet the reason is unknown. The last of the children was an infant, who died in her sleep of unknown causes, and when her mother found her, she rocked her in a rocking chair until they were found. The last known death was that of an adult. A couple was head arguing when suddenly, there was silence. A body was recovered the next morning. Now, the cries of ghost children are said to have been heard in the middle of the night, as well as the apparition of a phantom light bulb, and woman in white on a rocking chair. It has also been reported that there is stomping on the staircase, at night and other mysterious noises can be heard. I believe that this house is open for tours.

7. Norfolk Regional Center, Norfolk

In 1888, with the help from the funding of Nebraska Legislature, Norfolk opened its doors to this 97-bed "State Hospital for the Insane." However, at first they did nothing to combat the issues that many faced, they simply housed patients. Unfortunately, this could mean that the ranges of conditions varied from homesickness, to what we would refer to as today as mentally unstable. In 1905, it reopened its doors with a greater capacity as more buildings were added, and the patients were forced to do field work and manual labor outdoors to provide for those who lived there. It wasn't until 1920 that they changed their name to Norfolk State Hospital, and began to treat the patients. However, the treatments were often unethical. Patients were subjected to electroconvulsive therapy and insulin shock therapy, which caused many irreversible negative effects. The institution also performed partial lobotomies for decades. Even involuntary sterilization of patients occurred behind these walls. Again in the 60s it was renamed to The Norfolk Regional Center, and until 2010, the building was used to treat and rehabilitate registered sex offenders. Now many buildings have been torn town and others are scheduled to be in the near future, however, many who visit believe that the tortured souls still remain on the grounds.

8. Hannah's Grave, Plattsmouth

According to legend, during the 1800s, a 16-year old named Hannah became pregnant. Her parents, who were furious helped deliver the baby at their home and drowned it in the Missouri River. They told Hannah that the baby was delivered a stillborn. According to those who have visited, they have seen a lantern in the distance, and the crying of a girl believed to be Hannah who cries out looking for her baby. Some have heard her calling out "Clara, I am so sorry." Other reports include a loud thud, and one person admits to breaking her stone only to come back the next day to find it put back together as if nothing had happened to it. Relatives of the caretakers at the cemetery claim, however, that her body has been relocated to another cemetery due to vandalism.

9. Lottie's Grave (Taylor Cemetery), Homer

The story of Lottie Edward often varies. Sometimes the story is told that Lottie went crazy after the death of her husband, and some say she was a witch who now curses anyone who visits her grave. Others say that she was murdered alongside her daughter, very gruesomely. However, truthfully, Lottie died in a hospital at Norfolk, of heart complications. Yet, many believe that her grave is cursed. According to legend, 3 boys visited her grave and dug her up, upon opening her casket, she cursed them all. Within a year, all three either died or disappeared without a trace. Stories added to this go as follow:

- a man and his friends went out to her grave to have a few drinks, a few days later he lost control of his car on a bridge. Luckily he survived.

- a few high schoolers visited the site, two of them thought it would be funny to stomp on her grave. 2 months later as they were coming into town, their car was hit by a train.

-others say they see orbs of light, and a phantom car that if followed, leads you to the entrance of the cemetery.

There have been articles written stating that this cemetery has been prone to a lot of vandalism from those looking for her grave. Due to this, some say her body has been moved to a different unknown location. It is heavily urged to avoid visiting her grave, as many wish to have her finally rest in peace.

10. Ball Cemetery, Springfield

Originally used as a private family cemetery during the 1800s, it no longer became family-explicit when U.S. Marshall William "Rattlesnake Pete" Liddiard's body was brought to Ball Cemetery to be interred. Now, those who visit report seeing an apparition of a tall male roaming the cemetery. However, it is believed that this ghost has a bad temper, and often inflicts wounds on those who stop by. Another ghost is that believed to be of Mary Mumford, one of the residents buried there. It has been reported that Mary's voice can be heard emanating from the cemetery, that she tugs on clothing, and then laughs. People have also reported bringing a Ouija board to the grave of Mary, only to be told that a R-A-V-I-O was present. When asked what it wanted, it simply replied with D-K-O. The meanings of these two results are unknown. P.R.I.S.M. has done extensive research here, with escorting from a deputy and permission from the neighbors who guard the cemetery. Their findings can be heard/seen here: http://www.doyouseedeadpeople.org/37/Ball-Cemetery...

*Beware: the neighbors who guard the cemetery do not have a problem with bringing out their shotguns to scare off trespassers who interrupt the dead at late hours of the night.

Disclaimer: these stories are perhaps fictional, the validity of these stories, is for the most part, unverified. Exercise with caution when visiting these sites.

That is all for now friends. Share some of your stories by commenting below!

Happy Haunting !