10 Harry Potter Quotes That Help Explain Anxiety And Depression

These quotes give us words of wisdom to help unveil the complexity of mental illness.

4213
West

Anxiety and depression are the two most common mental illnesses in the United States. They don’t always coexist, but it’s common for a person with anxiety to also suffer from depression. These illnesses can be confusing. They create feelings that seem unrealistic or invalid. It’s an overwhelming experience to live with one or both of these disorders, but there are ways to cope. Here are some quotes that describe what it’s like to live with these disorders, and how you can combat them.

1. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Anxiety and depression symptoms occur inside your head, invisible to the outside world. Sometimes the only person who knows you’re struggling is yourself, but that doesn’t make your problems any less valid. What’s happening to you is a real thing, and it’s important to realize.

2. “Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.” - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

When you understand your illness, you can understand what you're fighting and try to recover from it. Progress won’t be made without understanding. You also need other people to understand what you’re feeling so they can try to help you. Communication is key to understanding, with yourself and others.

3. “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Many people may not understand these mental illnesses. Due to the lack of knowledge, people may fear them. These mental illnesses can bring dark times, and it’s hard for people to comprehend. This creates a stigma, which evokes more fear. It’s important to help people understand illnesses so they’re not afraid.

4. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Everyone has good qualities and bad qualities. We all have good days and bad days. The important thing is how we choose to act on these good or bad qualities, and how we react on these good or bad days. These times create your character, which is your true self.

5. “Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Anxiety and depression bring some dark days. Sometimes they bring a series of bad days that seem never-ending, but there’s something good in every day. Sometimes the good is extremely hard to find, especially when these illnesses have you feeling overwhelmed, but it’s important to find this light and let it help you.

6. “We are all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same and worth saving.” - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You’re loved and you’re important. These illnesses can make you feel like that’s not true, but it is. Your life is valued by so many people, and you’re so much more than your mental illness. People want to help you, and it’s important to accept the help so you can get treatment and heal.

7. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Sometimes to gain strength you must get help from others. It can be hard to ask for help, but it can be the most helpful and rewarding thing. Other people help build you up and carry some of your burdens, so you don’t have to bear the weight by yourself. Having a good, strong support system is important.

8. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Anxiety and depression can feel overwhelming at times. It’s very tempting to just bottle up everything you feel and hide it from the world. Pretending to be okay is not okay.You feel worse if you keep your thoughts and emotions inside, rather than tell others. It’s okay to feel sad, anxious, angry, frustrated. The feeling is normal, healthy and important. These experiences shape you into the person you are.

9. “It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.” - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

It’s important to stay strong. You have to be willing to fight for yourself. These illnesses won’t go away on their own, and without treatment, they’ll slowly progress. Fighting for yourself is critical. It’s your drive and determination that will determine your future.

10. "Working hard is important, but there’s something that matters even more; believing in yourself.” - "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

While you’re battling these mental illnesses it’s imperative that you believe in yourself. If you don’t believe in yourself, then you’re not really fighting. The fight is hard, and some days will be better than others, but don’t give up. Believe in yourself and great things will come.