10 Goals For 2016 | The Odyssey Online

10 Goals For 2016

Let's get off to a better start than 2015.

10
10 Goals For 2016

With the new year right around the corner, it's time to start thinking about what happened in 2015 and what you want to do differently in 2016. To most, the phrase, "New year, new me," triggers an eye-roll, but what's wrong with setting some new goals for yourself? Here are 10 potential goals for 2016 to set yourself up for a great year.

1. Take more time for yourself.

Yes, I know. It's way more easier said than done. However, try to budget some time every day or every few days where you reward yourself for all your hard work. Whether this is trying out a new TV show or incorporating meditation into your lifestyle, make sure to "treat yo self" every once in a while. You deserve it.

2. Try something adventurous.

Go on that trip to New York City you've always wanted to do. If skydiving has been consuming your thoughts, set something up. Time doesn't slow down and the more you keep putting something off, the less likely you are to do it. This is the year to be adventurous.

3. Take more risks.

There's always that person in the back of our mind telling us, "Oh, don't do that, you'll look stupid." Well, put that person on mute for a bit and take some fun risks. If there's been that person you've had your eye on at Starbucks or your routine bar, say hi. What's the worst that could happen?

4. Embrace failure or rejection.

As cliche as it sounds, there is always a lesson that comes with either one of them. Sometimes it's not completely obvious and the feeling of failing or being rejected sucks. Stay positive, trek through and look for the silver lining.

5. Workout more, eat out less.

It's hard to get motivated to work out, especially when days seem to last 30 hours rather than 24. It also doesn't help that Jimmy John's can arrive at your door in under 10 minutes. Take small steps and incorporate a little gym time everyday while lowering the amount of time ordering out. By March, you'll feel bad when you miss at the gym.

6. Show others you appreciate them.

Sometimes we forget to tell our family or friends how much they mean to us. Make it a habit to show your appreciation to the ones you love and care about; it will mean the world to them.

7. Unplug from the world for a bit.

Social media is everywhere and consumes most people's day. I know I'm extremely guilty of that. Make a conscious effort to shut your phone off when you're at dinner with friends or walking to class. You'll be surprised at how much more you get out of these everyday moments.

8. Drink less booze.

As a college student, it has become part of the culture to go out multiple times a week for some. The older I have gotten, the more excruciating the hangovers are and the longer the recovery time is. It's hard to justify wasting an entire day on the couch when there are so many other productive things to do. Drink less this year and find new hobbies to participate in. It makes a huge difference in how you feel on Saturday and Sunday.

9. Try to avoid procrastination.

I'm even rolling my eyes as I type this, but it's something a lot of people, myself included, need to work on. College student and procrastination go hand-in-hand. However, the stress that comes with huge piles of assignments due all at once is a terrible feeling. Try to complete an assignment or paper a few days before they are due. Avoid the unnecessary anxiety. Your sanity will thank you.

10. Be your own number one fan.

Falling into the "new year, new me" theme, try to think more highly of yourself. It's easy to nitpick every little thing you don't like about yourself, but where does this get you? If you aren't rooting for yourself, how can you expect others to constantly do the same. Yes, easier said than done, but starting somewhere is better than not starting at all. Make 2016 the year you truly love yourself.