10 Must-Do's Before You Leave UHART

10 Must-Do's Before You Leave UHART

10 things you have to do before leaving UHART

21
10 Must-Do's Before You Leave UHART

10 Things

Some might agree with saying that living on campus is overrated after just a few weeks, but I am here to argue otherwise. Coming up on my last go­-around as an undergrad, gave me the chance to reflect on all that I’ve done up until this point.

Lots of craziness, few tears, and memories with amazing people that I could never forget (even if I tried ). As an ode to my beloved UHART, here is a list of the top 10 things you must do before leaving The University of Hartford :

1. Wake up early.

There are 24 hours in a day and I am convinced the average college student wastes about half of them. Carpe diem, seize the day! You wouldn’t be in college or have made it this far if you had no intentions of working hard. Start your day early and get a head start. You’ll be amazed at just how much you can get accomplished in just a few hours. Your body and mind will thank you later!

2. Angry Bull

It wouldn’t be thirsty Thursday without a trip to Angry Bull. Two levels of music, drinks, and dancing; half of uhart in the building. What’s not to love about it? And when you can’t dance anymore and waiting for you: Uber to make it past Hartford police, Aladdin's pizza is conveniently located right next door. Yummy!

3. ISAACS Bagels

America runs on Dunkin, Hartford runs on Isaacs. As corny as intros are, Isaac’s is a must have ! Half of those reading this article can already attest to the fact that Isaac’s is a hidden gem just around the corner from campus.

They have everything from warm muffins to bomb.com breakfast sandwiches, and what is better than supporting local family businesses?! It’s a win-win.

4. Find passion.

This goes without saying, live is nothing without passion. Take time out from the parties and even the books to find what makes you happy even if it has nothing to do with your major. Take that photography class that you’ve been dying to try, or sing until your lungs hurt if that’s what makes you happy. Immerse yourself in things that you love to do and watch yourself grow and glow into much more than you imagined possible.

4. Join an organization/ club/ etc.

I recommend this, especially for new students. Being a part of a club on campus opens so many doors. You can make friendships that last forever and challenge yourself in taking on leadership positions, and nothing beats the feeling of finding a home away from home.

5. Go to the frat party.

We’ve all been faced with the decision of whether or not to attend “ that” frat party once or twice throughout our college career... I am telling you, go! Let your inner social butterfly flow. Meet strangers who end up becoming your friends by the end of the night. Learn how to properly “flick yo' wrist” and win the round of beer pong. We’re young! It is better to put yourself in a new environment than regret it weeks later.

6. Thank you.

Throughout your four years, you will get that chance to learn from some very insightful professors. Be sure to say that you to the one(s) that had the most impact on you. It will brighten their day knowing that they made such an impression on you, the student.

7. Learn the difference between Tall, Grande, Venti.

This is pretty self-explanatory, yet I always find myself holding up the Starbucks line trying to figure out when coffee got so fancy.

8. Hartt/Art School

Some of the best things in life are free... like shows at the Hartt school! Even if the theatre isn’t your thing, the students of Hartt put on amazing productions every few months that leave goers in awe. Students work hard year round perfecting their craft and it shows. As a student, you are able to attend most shows for free and, if not free, then at a discounted rate, which makes it even more of a no-­brainer. Along with the Hartt students, Uhart has an amazing art program occupied by hundreds of talented students who produce their own works on the daily. If you find yourself needing to pass the time in between classes or followed my advice and WAKE UP EARLY, check out the Donald and Linda Sipe Gallery adjacent to the library. Every few months they revamp the displays and showcase the amazing pieces that are created by your very friends. Definitely a hidden gem in my book.

9. Study abroad.

If you can, go! The University of Hartford has an amazing program designed to work with its students in finding the right choice for you. Visit a foreign country, learn the language and it’s people, take pictures, and make memories that no one can ever take away. Study Abroad is always holding meetings for more info. Their office is located upstairs in the Gengras Student Union. Feel free to stop by, ask questions, and begin your journey.

10. Tag the anchor.

One of the first things that you see when you drive onto campus is the University sign and the anchor. Possibly one of the Hawks longest standing traditions, the anchor has been spray painted every color from gold to fuschia. It’s a rite of passage and also my last must-do before graduating The University of Hartford.

I hope those reading are able to cross off a few must-do’s off the list and for those who find themselves behind, better catch up before you miss out!