10 Children's Cartoons That Adults Will Appreciate Even More

Animated shows for kids that hold up for adult viewers.

1286
Electro Kami

On March 11th, beloved animated show "Samurai Jack" is returning for a fifth season. The trailer for this revival was recently released to the delight of everyone who grew up in the 2000's watching the show. Although a kids show, "Samurai Jack" has a compelling story and intelligence behind it so that this new season, which will wrap the story up, is being met with a lot of excitement and anticipation. It'll be airing on Adult Swim this time, which is fitting seeing as that everyone who watched the show has since grown up. However, "Samurai Jack," like numerous other kids' cartoon shows, has held up over the years as entertainment that adults can enjoy & respect too. So in honor of the upcoming fifth season of "Samurai Jack," here are 10 children's cartoon shows that adults will appreciate even more:

1. "Samurai Jack"

To expand upon the initial series, "Samurai Jack," apart from having a very compelling story behind it, is an artistic treat that is also very cinematic. Dialogue is kept to a minimum, with the visuals carrying a lot of the storytelling burden. The fight scenes alone are exhilarating and masterfully animated, with a slew of varied enemies for Jack to fight, ranging from robots to monsters to demons. The series has taken influence from a wide range of sources, such as the long-running manga "Lone Wolf and Cub," the TV show "Kung-Fu," samurai films like "Seven Samurai," and graphic novels like "Ronin" and "300." With such influences, it makes for a great amalgamation of stories that combine the genres of action, adventure, science-fiction, comedy, and epic, ranging from light-hearted to dark to emotional to downright cool. Jack himself is a classic hero, and his archenemy, the demon Aku, makes for a great villain who is both menacing & funny. It's hard to not get invested in Jack's character & story whether you're a child, teen, or adult; thankfully, his story will soon be finished.

2. "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy"

Much like "Courage the Cowardly Dog," this horror-based series is filled with so much weirdness and off-kilter humor that it's not hard for both children and adults to find entertainment in it. For adults, the skewering of pop culture objects and movies (such as Harry Potter, "Little Shop of Horrors," and classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons) are even funnier and more clever now. Adults may also find great enjoyment in the episodes that actually work in being scary and funny, such as "Son of Nergal" (a spoof of "The Thing") or "Tricycle of Terror" (a spoof of "Christine"). The absurdity of the characters alone are worthwhile to watch, especially the three main characters of Grim, Mandy, and Billy, and then side characters like Nergal, Ares, Hoss Delgado, Fred Fredburger, Dracula, and General Scar (from companion show "Evil Con Carne").

3. "Johnny Bravo"

Watching this show from an adult perspective, you can absolutely see the seeds of shows like "Family Guy" through Seth MacFarlane's writing in season one (who worked on this show along with "Fairly Oddparents" creator Butch Hartman). As such, the entire series, even after those two writers left, is notable for its pop-culture references and numerous sly adult jokes. The character of Johnny Bravo himself is even funnier to adult viewers because he is the type of self-absorbed person that does exist, whereas a kid may think he's an exaggeration. His dialogue, puns, insults, and pick-up lines are comedic gold, and the type of stuff that older viewers will really get a kick out of.

4. "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy"

Capturing the attitude and dealings of kids in a way unique to this show, "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy" does have a level of nostalgia going for it. An adult watching it will no doubt have memories about the shenanigans they & their friends did during the summer, and this alone give the show an extra life among older viewers. It feels like a real neighborhood populated by kids that seem like they could be based off of real people. However, the show has a lot more for older viewers to take away, being jam-packed with pop-culture references, brilliant instances of self-awareness & fourth-wall breaking, and subtle jokes that will bring about a sly smile.

5. "Spongebob Squarepants" (pre-first movie)

Before divulging into pure stupidity that dominates the later seasons that came after the first movie, the early seasons of Spongebob Squarepants were filled with comedy that was universal in its appeal. Even to this day, early gags and trademarks of the series remain embedded within pop culture. The writing was also decidedly more witty and clever, with plenty of jokes for the whole family, and then jokes that are even funnier to adults only (such as the soap joke or the 'ice cream' scene in the movie).

6. "Star Wars: Clone Wars"

Honestly, this mini-series set between Episode II and III of the "Star Wars" prequels is better than the prequels themselves (even though it is no longer canon). Created by the same team who brought us "Dexter's Laboratory" and "Samurai Jack," this series, which clocks in at a little over two hours, contains far better writing than the movies, and does a better job of advancing story elements, such as Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. Side characters are also developed much more, with General Grievous being the stand-out; the show makes his character utterly intimidating and terrifying. If for nothing else though, this show's visuals are tremendous, and they are often employed to move the narrative along in the absence of dialogue (also akin to "Samurai Jack").

7. "Courage the Cowardly Dog"

Possibly the most disturbing kid's cartoon show ever, this series has series re-watch value to adults with a love of horror and the bizarre. To this day, anyone who was once a kid has never forgotten the creepy CGI mummy ghost beckoning "Return the slab" or the barber who has a disturbing fascination with rhyming & cutting hair. The funny send-ups of great movies also lead to some memorable moments, like in the episode featuring a possessed bed that leads to a spoof of "The Exorcist." However, the show is often times just as emotional and visually beautiful, with the episode "The Last of the Starmakers" being one of the most poignant that also features some stunning animation, and then "The Mask" features a mature look at abusive relationships that will be much clearer to adults. There's a lot for adults to discover in this series, beyond just creepy imagery.

8. "Animaniacs"

An animated variety show comprised of skits, parodies, musicals, this Steven Spielberg shepherded series is possibly best known by it's legacy of numerous, subtle jokes for adult audiences. Inspired by the "Looney Tunes," this series, especially with the three main characters of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot, continues to see acclaim to this day for its original animation and sense of humor for all demographics.

9. "Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies"

This goes without saying. Classic "Looney Tunes" and "Merrie Melodies" shorts, and their characters, are timeless examples of slapstick comedy that never gets old. There's a reason that Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, Sylvester the Cat, Tweety Bird, Marvin the Martian, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Speedy Gonzalez, Taz, Wil E. Coyote, and the Road Runner are icons of animation.

10. The DC Animated Universe ("Batman," "Superman," "Batman Beyond," "Justice League," "Justice League Unlimited," "Static Shock")

Considering how rushed and directionless the DC Cinematic Universe seems at this point in time, it makes this early inter-connected series of cartoons even more impressive. Beginning with "Batman: The Animated Series," this universe unfolded over the course of many years, with subsequent series building upon previous ones. This was essentially the Marvel Studios formula before that even existed; it took it's time and naturally became an inter-connected universe. However, the individual shows themselves stand-alone great, and contain fantastic examples of writing and action. This universe even spawned films, with "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" receiving both a theatrical release and continued acclaim as one of the best Batman movies. These shows are arguable the greatest representations of Batman, Superman, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, the rest of the Justice League, and the rogues gallery of villains for these characters that we'll ever get.

Some honorable mentions: "Dexter's Laboratory," "Teen Titans," "Tom & Jerry," "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends," "Regular Show," "Fairly Oddparents," "Powerpuff Girls," "Cow and Chicken," "Sheep in the Big City," "Young Justice," and "Codename: Kids Next Door."