Top 10 Coffee Shops in the Capital Region

Time to take a break from Starbucks and Dunkin

667
KeyWordSuggest

When it comes to living in Albany, I made a vow to myself that I would try to visit every coffee shop in the Capital District and some of the surrounding areas (Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Saratoga, etc.). So far, I've tried some of the best lattes and iced coffees that New York has to offer and coming from me, the vanilla latter connoisseur, major props to these 10 coffee shops that you need to add to your bucket list to visit:

1. Stacks Espresso Bar - Albany, NY

Although little in space, don't count this place out. With two locations, Lark Street, and Broadway, Stacks is in the heart of Albany and the heart of strong espresso. Favorite Drink: Nitro Iced Coffee (If you're not familiar with Nitro coffee, the secret is that it's brewed with Nitrogen instead of Oxygen giving it a light and airy texture, but Stacks gives it it's own flare with slight carbonation - a kick you won't be expecting)

2. Fortunate Cup Coffee Shop - Saratoga, NY

Not only big and spacious, the Fortunate Cup offers big tables and booths if you decide to grab some lunch or small tables and comfy chairs if you're staying to get some work done. Favorite Drink: (Going against my caffeine fix) Peach Smoothie

3. The Daily Grind - Troy, NY

I've been going to this coffee shop since I was 16 years old to work on homework and it was basically my home away from home; even to the point where all the baristas knew my order. The people there become like family and there's a very good chance it will become one of your new favorite hangouts. Favorite Drink: Iced Coffee

4. Happy Cappuccino - Schenectady, NY

A new place I've just explored is the Happy Cappuccino and it is one of my new found favorites. The atmosphere is cute and laid-back and right across the street from the Proctors Theatre so there's a major landmark so you don't get lost (awesome for me!). Favorite Drink: Vanilla Latte (Congrats Happy Cap, you won my favorite latte!!!)

5. Mocha Blend Cafe - Troy, NY

If you want amazing vibes AND amazing coffee, this is the place for you. Located on Hoosick Street, Mocha Blend always has encouraging music playing through the speakers and friendly faces waiting to greet you at the register. Favorite Drink: Iced Coffee with Irish Cream Flavoring

6. Kru Coffee - Saratoga Springs, NY

Kru Coffee has by far the coolest atmosphere of any coffee shop I've been to. With an upstairs and a downstairs, the minute you walk through the doors, all you see is rustic and wooden decor, while at the same time giving a classy aura. There are long tables for team projects, comfy chairs for getting work done alone, and tables to have awesome chats with friends. No matter where you are in the upstate NY region, it's worth the drive to visit the crew at Kru. Favorite Drink: Hot Coffee (Sweetened with Raw Sugar)

7. Delaware Trolley House and Cafe - Albany, NY

Another recent find of mine, the Trolley House has an old-school vibe with a record player and a classic cash register from way back in the day. Although small on the inside, the atmosphere of this cafe makes you feel like you've traveled back in time without a time machine. Favorite Drink: Vanilla Latte (Well deserved kudos to the Trolley House)

8. Psychadelicatessen - Troy, NY

Don't be fooled by the name; the Psychadelicatessen is not a deli, but an amazing place to grab a coffee, a bagel, and to chill around tie dye, comfy couches, and an overall trippy vibe. There's seating in the front if you want to get some work done and there's also a room in the back with couches and chairs to kick back with friends. Favorite Drink: Iced Vanilla Latte (The Psychadelicatessen wins on so many levels)

9. Professor Java's Coffee Sanctuary - Albany, NY

Famous for first dates and workaholics, Professor Javas has the best selection of drinks that I've seen around... And they can custom make them for you if you ask. With both bar and table service, the workers at Professor Java's are right there to greet you, ask you how you're doing, and take your order. Favorite Drink: Sassy Seth (Latte with Vanilla, Caramel, and Almond Roca Flavoring)

10. Coffee Planet - Ballston Spa, NY

More good vibes from this rad place! Another trippy hangout, Coffee Planet has awesome seating in the front and in the back with a checkerboard table and some comfy chairs. I personally love going there to work on my makeup designs and my writing because the vibe is so chill, it automatically puts you in focus mode. Favorite Drink: Iced Coffe with Vanilla Flavoring

When it comes to coffee - especially vanilla lattes - I am very picky. But, as you can see, these 10 places have passed the test not only with drinks but with atmosphere and service as well. If you haven't checked these places out already, what are you waiting for?