10 Break-Up Songs You Definitely Cried To In Middle School

Songs that mended our 'broken' hearts.

149
collegecandy.files.wordpress.com

Admit it, back in middle school you had a break-up playlist dedicated to the boy who refused to dance with you at the awkward middle school dance, or to the girl who wrote "HAGS" in your yearbook. Lucky for us, we had plenty of great songs to help us mend our broken hearts. Here are 10 songs you undoubtedly once had as your Myspace profile song to get through your first heart break.

1. "So Sick" by Ne-yo

To be honest, I'd be the first one to buy Ne-yo tickets if he ever decided to make a comeback, because his songs such as "So Sick," "Miss Independent," and "Because of You" were definitely recorded on my flip phone and used as my ringtones.

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: That's the reason I'm so sick of love songs so tired of tears so done with wishing you were still here.

2. "Leave Get out" by Jojo

This was the song that made me realize I could count on Jojo for being my homegirl. She ignited a candle within me that made me realize I needed no man! (Even though I was only like 12 and the only man in my life was my dad).

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: Get out. Leave. Right now. It's the end of you and me.

3. "Apologize" by One Republic

I used to sing this song and imagine I was in a music video. Also, every time somebody said "sorry" to me I would bust out the chorus of this song. No, Mom, it's too late to apologize.

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: I loved you with a fire red, now it's turning blue.

4. "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood

I developed such a sense of independence and felt so much exhilaration and exuberance from listening to this song. He thinks he's going to get away with cheating on me? He thinks I'm a fool? (And by "he," I mean the guy who sat in my Algebra class and didn't notice me but close enough, right)? OK, so 12-year-old me couldn't quite relate, but I was pumped. How could any man do my girl Carrie dirty like that?

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive.

5. "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis

I was too young to be feeling the emotions Leona Lewis evoked in me through this song. Eight years later and I still haven't felt the same fiery, passionate love she described for a person, (but I do feel that way about pizza).

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: But I don't care what they say, I'm in love with you.

6. "Cry Me a River" by Justin Timberlake

This song had me more than crying rivers, it had me sobbing great ocean basins. How can anybody possibly want to hurt the love of my life, JT?

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: Your bridges were burned, and now it's your turn.

7. "Heartless" by Kanye West

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2F28%2F636000229829263629-2145973263_kanye.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=312&h=19e908430a8c9ffdaf5ea09548d98d124e463365049b4b235b55316a1a4cad31&size=980x&c=106792497 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F05%252F28%252F636000229829263629-2145973263_kanye.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D312%26h%3D19e908430a8c9ffdaf5ea09548d98d124e463365049b4b235b55316a1a4cad31%26size%3D980x%26c%3D106792497%22%7D" expand=1]

The only "heartless" person I encountered at the age I first listened to this song was my middle school English teacher. Close enough.

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: How could you be so Dr. Evil, you're bringing out a side of me that I don't know.

8. "Irreplaceable" by Beyoncé

This song made it very clear to me that there are plenty fish in the sea (and led me to have like ten crushes at the same time in middle school).

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: You must not know 'bout me, you must not know 'bout me.

9. "Skinny Love" by Birdy

I don't care what you say, whenever I hear the piano starting up in the intro to this song I got my tissues ready. This song hits me in all my feels.

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: I told you to be patient, I told you to be kind.

10. "Burn" by Usher

Old Usher is by far my favorite Usher, and this song was definitely on repeat on my tiny iPod shuffle.

Line you sang with all of your heart and soul: Man I don't know what I'm gonna do without my boo.

Thank God we had these bangers to get us through the painful, two-day break-ups we all went through in middle school.