10 Best Ways to Make New Friends in College

I wouldn't have nothing if I didn't have you

11
Sta. Cruz iPhone

Ah college a fresh new start, everything is new and scary and you feel like you are all alone. No family there with you and you and your friends from high school parted ways. Luckily I have some great ways for you to meet new friends in a scary, crazy, new, fun and lovable experience called college

1. Go to school events

Go to footballl games, first day events (so totally not just saying that because I'm an orientation assistant), all things planned by a staff that has worked tirelessly to make it fun. Plus it is a good way for you to bond with your roommate

2. See someone sitting by themselves at a meal? Sit with them!

Eating alone gets lonely, might be weird and awkward to approach them but you both might appreciate it in the end. Small talk could be easy when you are talking about what your favorite food station is in the dining hall.

3. Join a club

The activities fair is a great place to find clubs specific to your major or to find a special interest club because there you will find people who are like you (and 9 times out of 10 you'll get along SUPER well). Plus clubs are a great way to fill in all your extra free time

4. Sit in the common area

The common area is a great place for you to literally just sit and wait for someone to walk in. Watch a TV show together or see if your RA can set up a movie night for you to get to know your floor mates which brings me to my next point

5. Make friends with your floormates

My floormates are now some of my best friends. You see each other all the time whether it be riding the elevator up or down together and are sharing that lovely communal bathroom together. Soon enough you'll know each other by name and know their majors and can wave when you see each other around campus.

6. Talk to your roommates friends too!

If it weren't for my roommate I wouldn't have met half the people I'm friends with now. Don't think 'oh she's her friend I can't steal her friends' because you really aren't. If you both have the same friends it won't be awkward if her friends are sitting on her bed/desk and vice versa.

7. Sit in the middle of the classroom

I say middle because 1) it's not too far or too close and 2) you are surrounded (literally) by people. You can continuously ask 'what did he just say?' because if you sit in the back your options are probably one other person and a wall

8. Create a study group

Study groups are great because they are effective and you all can complain about the work you have from that one professor together. You'd be surprised at how much that actually brings people together

9. Get to know upper classmen

Upper classmen know the ropes of the school. They can be super helpful not only for the first few weeks but for some pretty great life advice

10. Become friends with a diverse group of people

A diverse group of friends not only introduces you to more branches of friendships but it also helps you truly deepen your friendships with others by seeing where other people come from and what they have been through. Besides who wants to be friends with someone like themselves. I know I would go nuts if my friends were literally exactly like me.

No one said college was easy but find great friends and you'll find yourself creating the best memories for the best years of your life.