Social Media Cleanse

I'll admit it, social media has become a part of my daily routine. Every morning before I run out the door I catch myself briskly swiping through Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter to see what I missed out on last night. In between classes I scroll through my feed wondering aimlessly what else I could be doing with my time.

Over break, I realized I was becoming so consumed with what other people were doing that I forgot to live in the moment. So I decided to take a week-long break from social media. Even though a week isn't too long, it truly made me realize a lot. These are the four most important things I learned while on break from my fake world.

1. People only show you want they want you to see.

https://unsplash.com/photos/FTypdFs4LP0

When it comes to social media we get to choose what we post. Scrolling through Instagram and seeing posts from luxurious vacations can really make you wish you had someone else's life. What we often forget is that people don't show you the bad. Nobody posts about their breakups, job losses, failed classes, or overwhelming stress.

They only present to you the side of them that they want you to see. So next time you catch yourself longing for someone else's lifestyle just remember it may not be as glamorous as you think.

2. Nobody really cares about the theme of your Instagram.

https://unsplash.com/photos/JcX_ABVzDZU

I'll be the first one to admit that I'm guilty of not posting pictures I really love because they mess up my Instagram or make it look bad. But at the end of the day, it's my account and I can post what I want. Nobody is going to look at your account and think "their whole Instagram is ruined because they posted that picture." Post what makes you feel good about yourself.

3. Twitter fights rarely change opinions.

https://unsplash.com/photos/HAIPJ8PyeL8

Twitter is a breeding ground for some of the most ridiculous statements. When scrolling down our timelines it can be so easy to want to jump into conversations and tell someone why they're wrong. However, 250 characters and a couple hits to someone's character isn't going to do anything to help your case without making you look bad as well.

So next time you disagree with someone, try reaching out to them one on one and have a conversation with them about your concerns! Hear them out and see why they feel the way they do about certain issues. Understanding both sides of an argument can help you come together and work towards a conclusion. You'll be a lot more likely to sway someone's opinion through a civil conversation than with a tweet war.

4. It's OK to put your phone down.

https://unsplash.com/photos/Pvx24X1uiq4

There is nothing I love more than taking pictures and videos. To me, there is something so special about being able to rewatch a video and transport back into that moment. However, sometimes taking pictures and videos can take us out of the moment. You don't need to watch half a concert through your phone screen as an attempt to get the perfect Snapchat. I promise the music will sound a lot better if you just put your phone down and enjoy the moment.

Similarly, you don't need to constantly refresh your apps to see what other people are doing while you are out, their posts aren't going anywhere.