What You Realize When You Go Zero Waste
Environment

When You Finally Go Zero Waste, You Realize It's A Lot Different Than You Thought

With the change, you also realized that no one is perfect in this lifestyle.

9
Samantha Shinn

If you didn't know zero waste is a lifestyle movement where people stop using one-time use products and try to avoid anything wrapped in plastic which in the end will diminish the total amount of garbage you produce and recycling. Recycling is OK in this lifestyle, but it should also be cut backed also. For example, instead of using a plastic water bottle everyday invest in a stainless steel one and a water filter pitcher which will stop 365 plastic bottles from ending up in landfills every year which don't decompose for hundreds of years and save will also save you money in the end. A person going zero waste also needs to know that it can sometimes be more expensive though as you may travel further for a bulk store where you end up paying more for a pound of a certain product.

Zero waste is a slow process

Before deciding to follow this lifestyle I never realized the amount of plastic that is used in our everyday life. From plastic bags to the grocery store but also excessive packaging of items. If it is in a cardboard box, why does the item needed to also be wrapped in plastic? If producers even just got rid of all plastic containers for glass that would make a big change. So shopping is harder and you definitely start to question what is societal norms.

As what you think is all good and cause no waste because its recyclable could actually not be because of the plastic liner. Or you wanted to try something for a long time and you never realized that you are creating garbage from grabbing the item. But most importantly you have to go against what most college student love which is free stuff because it will only just become waste in the end because you never actually needed it. But also you may seem weird for carrying around a package of travel utensils around to avoid plastic or having a glass container and cloth napkin ready in your bag for an emergency.

But in the end, realizing that you are making the difference in waste being produced makes all the problems you face and the looks be all right because in the end your helping the world.