3 Undeniable Similarities Between Trump And Hitler

"It's not the truth that matters, but victory."

2454
Reuters

I recently took a quiz titled Who Said It: Donald Trump or Adolf Hitler? My results: I got 5/5 correct, and I completely guessed on every question. Ranging from "It is not the truth that matters, but victory," to "Make the lie big, make it simple keep saying it and... they will believe it," it is certainly difficult to tell the difference between a quote from the man who was responsible for the deaths of millions of people and the man who is currently running for the American presidency. (The answers to who said the two quotes are at the bottom of this article.)

But do comparisons exist between the businessman and the leader of the Nazi Party other than quotes? Yes. In fact, many of Trump's ideals seem to have come straight out of Mein Kampf. I even asked my German grandmother who experienced Germany during World War II for her opinion of Trump, and she immediately responded, "He reminds me of Hitler."

1. Blaming a specific group of people for society's problems.

"The personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew.” [Adolf Hitler, “Mein Kampf”, Vol. 1, Chapter 11]

Hitler's view was that the Jewish people as a whole were responsible for the hardships faced by Germans during and after WWI, and that lebensraum, or living space required for the expansion and continuation of a nation, was necessary for the survival of the German people. He decided that the best plan of action would be to eliminate every Jewish citizen, and then expand Germany into Poland and Russia. He twisted his own racism and goals of political achievement into a hatred of one race of people, blaming them for all of Germany's then issues. Then he planned and executed the Holocaust, leaving millions dead after subjecting them to the brutal torture of concentration camps and death camps. Of course, the separation, segregation, and persecution didn't happen overnight. Hitler slowly singled out every Jewish citizen through tactics such as requiring that they wear a yellow Star of David attached to their clothes, referring to the Jewish citizens as enemies of Germany, and moving entire communities into ghettos.

Today, the quote from Hitler above is not far off from the things Trump has said. Trump has called Mexican immigrants as well as other immigrants "rapists" and "killers," threatened to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico, and suggested a database to keep tabs on all Muslim-Americans in the United States. He even called for a shutdown of all Muslims entering the United States until authorities can "figure out what's going on." Sounds pretty vague. Similar to the way in which Hitler blamed one group of people for all of society's problems, Trump is doing the same, but with two. If you read his position on immigration reform, you'll immediately notice the blatant racist content. It gave me a migraine. He stated that if Mexico doesn't want to pay for the wall, he will do something "severe." Severe, as in what he might consider once he realizes that he can't deport every Muslim-American and Mexican-American from the United States due to, um, the law.

2. Appeal to a certain education level

"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach." - Adolf Hitler via

There is a great video that breaks down Donald Trump's speech patterns. You can watch it here. In a nutshell, the video explains that while other politicians choose their words carefully, knowing that they may be twisted and used against them, Trump does not. Instead, he speaks in short, simple sentences, and often brings up the same topics over and over again. He brings up national tragedies, the fact that he believes America is the greatest country, and he repeats the same words meant to hit home over and over (in this video, "problem," "injured," and "dead" are a few examples). The effect is that many American citizens who have listened to sophisticated politicians speak without fully understanding what they are saying, may be more inclined to agree with or listen to Trump just based on his use of simple language.

Here is cut of multiple speeches given by Hitler with English subtitles. As you can see, he uses a similar type of speech to Trump. His sentences are short, and he often brings up the same points over and over. The two are also similar in the way they physically speak. Both Hitler and Trump are aggressive in the way they speak, utilizing commands and certain words in order to scare listeners. Which brings us to:

3. Scare Propaganda and Understated Violence

Both Trump and Hitler have made specific word choices in speeches or interviews that are meant to scare listeners. In Hitler's case, many were scared into staying quiet about their own beliefs, whether by Hitler himself or by his followers. In many cases, German citizens joined the Nazi Party out of fear that their neighbors would report them as Jewish sympathizers if they didn't. Because the Nazis were actually that scary.

Trumps followers seem to be just as passionate. This summer, authorities in Boston reported that two brothers beat a homeless man because he was Hispanic, and later told police that "Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported." Trump did tweet after the incident saying that he doesn't condone violence, but this was after he stated: "I will say, the people that are following me are very passionate... they love this country, they want this country to be great again," which doesn't exactly sound like he disagrees. He is also known for kicking people out of his rallies based on the attendees race or religion, and even told Jorge Ramos to "go back to Univision" after he asked Trump a question about his plan to deport 11 million immigrants in two years. Ramos is a Mexican-American journalist, and Univision is an American, Spanish television broadcasting service.

Regardless of where you stand politically, or who you plan on voting for in the upcoming primaries and Presidential election, it is important to remember to vote for someone who you believe in. However, it is also important to remember that history repeats itself, and that learning from the mistakes of the past is a foolproof way to make better choices in the future. And by the way, Hitler was responsible for both of the quotes in the introduction of this article. If you guessed Trump for either quote, you know we have a problem.