Why YouTube Is My Escape

Why YouTube Is My Escape

I watch YouTube as a method of self-care.

23
https://www.pexels.com/photo/mokup-smartphone-technology-phone-34407/

YouTube began way back in 2005. I would watch YouTube once in a while when there was a viral video that my friends told me I had to see, but I did not actively start watching any YouTubers until around 2011. The first person I watched was the King of YouTube himself, Shane Dawson.

I thought he was okay, but I have to admit I was not a fan of his earlier work. As I am searching through YouTube, I found other YouTubers, such as Hannah Hart, Grace Helbig, Jenna Marbles, and The Vlogbrothers, also known as John and Hank Green.

OH MY GOD, I WAS HOOKED!

These people were so funny and real. It was so different from what I normally watched on TV. They not only made funny content, but they were also real with their audience.

Fast forward to present day, I am still watching YouTube more than ever. To be honest with you, I was just binge watching Mamrie Hart's show "You Deserve a Drink", then realized that I had to write this article. But now, when I watch YouTube, it is different from 2011.

When I was younger, I would watch YouTube just to see that viral video, get a good laugh, and I would move on. Now, when I watch YouTube, I watch it for stress release and to feel connected to people who like the same things as me.

YouTube has built a wonderful community. I watch it to see people's achievements. I watch it to hear people's stories. I watch it to see the YouTubers I have seen on the platform since I was 15 grow and change YouTube for the better.

Once again, I am talking about Shane Dawson. I mentioned before I was not a fan of his earlier work. Now I cannot get enough of his content, mainly his Docuseries!

YouTube is one of my methods to practice self-care. It's not your usual methods, but it is a good method for me. It is there for me when I need a good laugh or when I need a good cry. I honestly do not know what I would do without YouTube. I will be forever grateful to its creator and the creators on that platform.

Thank you, YouTube.