15 Bible Verses To Get You Through October

It's a month of stress and dread, so let's all help each other get through it the best we can.

18603

It's finally here... October. Affectionately called "Spook-tober" by those who love Halloween and all of its associated festivities, October can be a time of celebration. However, for the stressed out college student, October means one thing: Midterms. It's scary that we're already to the point where midterms are sneaking up on us, atop papers, presentations, pressing deadlines, and hopes for next semester. October can be a pretty hectic month. It also strikes me that, in light of recent events across the country and on campus, this is a time of social, racial, environmental, and academic tension.

So how do these all connect? One word: Scripture. The Bible may not be everyone's go to book, but we can all still appreciate the wisdom and comfort of these words. Whether you're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, or somewhere in between, God is here for us, no matter your relationship with Him. So here are some Bible verses to get you through October. Read them, sit with them, and think them over. I can't tell you how many of these I've sat with over the past few years, but they never fail to remind me that I am loved.

Note: I am using the NABRE translation. Use whatever translation you prefer.

1. Isaiah 41: 10

Do not fear: I am with you;do not be anxious: I am your God.I will strengthen you, I will help you,I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

2. 1 John 4: 18-21

There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment, and so one who fears is not yet perfect in love. We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. This is the commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

3. 1 Corinthians 16: 13-14

Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith, be courageous, be strong. Your every act should be done with love.

4. Joshua 1:9

I command you: be strong and steadfast! Do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord, your God, is with you wherever you go.

5. Luke 17: 5-6

And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.” The Lord replied, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you would say to [this] mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.

6. Philippians 4:13

I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.

7. James 1:5

But if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and he will be given it.

8. Proverbs 31:9

Open your mouth, judge justly,

defend the needy and the poor!

9. John 21: 15-17

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” [Jesus] said to him, “Feed my sheep.

10. Psalm 39: 8-9

And now, Lord, for what do I wait?

You are my only hope.

From all my sins deliver me;

let me not be the taunt of fools.

11. Matthew 11: 28-30

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

12. 2 Timothy 1:7

God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control.

13. Jeremiah 17:14

Heal me, Lord, that I may be healed;

save me, that I may be saved,

for you are my praise.

14. Isaiah 43: 2

When you pass through waters, I will be with you;

through rivers, you shall not be swept away.

When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned,

nor will flames consume you.

15. 1 John 3:18

Children, let us love not in word or speech but in deed and truth.

Good luck this month and remember, you can do it!!!!!!