If You're Lucky Enough To Live In Granby, CT

The Home of the Bears is the best home there is.

670

No matter where I go, I have never found a place quite like the little northern CT farm town that I call home, and I know I'm not alone. Granby, Connecticut is a town unlike any other, and any person that has had the pleasure of growing up here will be quick to agree. It's beautiful, bursting with an abundance of hiking trails, swimming holes, farmland and wildlife.

It also has the most incredible community with genuine people full of love for nature and the outdoors. It wasn't named the 10th best small town to live in America for nothing. Here is a list of a handful of reasons that we all feel so incredibly fortunate to have grown up in the Home of the Bears.

McLean Game Refuge

There are several different entrances all throughout town to the wonderful hiking paths of McLean Game Refuge, in fact, I can walk to one from my house! The Refuge offers an abundance of lovely trails to go on runs or walks with friends, and if you're lucky you'll spot a bear or two.

The Quarry

A very popular hike offering a stellar view. You have the option of either climbing up the rocks or taking the easy way and hiking the path. As you can see, many people like to bring along spray paint, and if you're a Granby resident it's likely that you've marked your name on those rocks at some point or another.

Enders Falls

This awesome place was named the 7th best swimming hole in New England, and for good reason! When the warm weather rolls around a ton of Granby residents and folks from surrounding towns head over to do some cliff jumping, hiking and swimming.

Salmon Brook Park

The heart and soul of the town. Every G-town resident grew up playing sports, adventuring on the playground, hitting up the snack shack, wading in the stream, and swimming in the pond at this beloved park by the town center.

Having a ski mountain 20 minutes away

How many Connecticut residents can boast having a ski mountain 20 minutes from their house? With Ski Sundown just down the road, numerous high schoolers got to have the rad job of being a ski/snowboard instructor, a job much cooler than most high school kids get. The mountain is always filled with lots of Granby residents and it's always rockin' an awesome social vibe and keeping winter fun.

Bonfires

A Granby classic. You and your friends don't know what to do that night? Bonfire it is!

Lox Stock & Bagels

The cheddar bagels are where it's at.

Prom camping

If you went to prom in Granby you looked forward even more to the traditional weekend of crazy camping that came afterwards, by far one of the best high school memories for every G-towner that went to prom.

The small town vibe

Everyone knows everyone, but around here it's appreciated. You literally cannot go ANYWHERE without seeing a minimum of two people that you know. Everyone is so friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. For example, when the power went out for almost 2 weeks during the crazy October storm several years ago, people all over town with generators were opening up their homes to strangers for hot showers and coffee.

The Sports

Sports are definitely really big around here and everyone is extremely supportive. Since we didn't used to have a football team, the infamous "under the lights" soccer game was always a unique highlight of homecoming weekend.

The Memorial Day parade

A joyous town tradition in which everyone gathers in the center of town to watch the parade and then socialize, eat, and celebrate afterwards on the town green.

The swimming holes

Besides Enders Falls, mentioned above, there are numerous other swimming holes and rope swings to go to in Granby and surrounding towns when the weather gets warm. No need to bother driving to the beach to cool off!

The people

One very notable thing about the people in Granby, everyone stays friends. I have a large friend group from grade school that has stayed just as close throughout our years in college. I have observed the same thing with my brother's group of friends as well as almost every other Granby native I know. Though this isn't unheard of, I'm still amazed by the amount of people that I meet from other places that have completely lost touch with their hometown friends. Granby folk are a unique breed, and the people, along with the town, are definitely irreplaceable.