You're Basic And That's OK

You're Basic And That's OK

We all love a good, Instagram worthy Starbucks Frappuccino.

30
You're Basic And That's OK
youtube.com

Basic: adj; used to describe any person, place, activity involving obscenely obvious behavior, dress, action, unsophisticated.

It’s 2016 and the 21st century is filled with labels. If you wear Uggs, leggings, “dad hats," or drink Starbucks as a female you're basic. If you wear thick framed glasses and like micro-brew beers you're a hipster and if you like lifting weights and Coors Light you're a bro. Being called any of these things can come with it's pros and cons, but it seems like the worst of them all is being called a basic bitch.

But what’s wrong with being basic? It’s like you can’t win with or as a millennial! If you involve yourself in popular things you’re basic and if you stray away from the norm you’re a hipster. If you are called basic, in a joking manner or not, the one calling you this finds you boring, mainstream, unsophisticated.

Hipster: adj; young men and women that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

In all honesty, I like all the basics of the world because they’re like me! I enjoy coffee, and yoga pants, and the puppy filter on Snapchat! Who isn’t going to love a filter that makes your skin look amazing and makes you an adorable, lovable puppy?! When did any of those things become negative?

The funny thing is, guys embrace each other’s basic-ness! It’s almost like being basic and being a bro is interchangeable, but only one is somewhat acceptable. Swap yoga pants for khaki shorts, Starbucks for Bud Light and New Girl for Narcos; we’ve got some pretty “basic” interests.

Bro: adj; Friend; commonly used in greetings. males who are often seen at college parties. When they aren’t making an ass of themselves they usually just stand around holding a red plastic cup

Moral of the story, if someone calls you a basic bitch, a hipster, or a bro don’t worry about it! As 20-somethings we’re just trying to get through life; we just want to be comfortable enough to take a nap at any given moment, but also caffeinated enough to write a 12 page sociology paper 6 hours before it’s due! Liking popular things doesn’t make you lame or liking things that might not be all that mainstream doesn’t make you any less of a person; hating on someone for having interest in those things, in fact, does.

**All "definitions" were found on urbandictionary.com**