Your Updated Fall Playlist

Your Updated Fall Playlist

What should be playing in your headphones this fall semester!

13
Your Updated Fall Playlist
Jesse Smith

With the impending cold doom that awaits us in a couple months, we get to enjoy my personal favorite season: Fall! With Fall coming (kinda), my music taste starts to shift gears too. Here's what I'll be listening to as the leaves begin to change color.

1. "Spades, Clubs, & Diamonds" by Aer (2014)

This generation's version of Sublime comes out with my favorite last day of summer tune. David von Mering and Carter Schultz are a two-man crew from Boston who combine the reggae-beats of Sublime with an East Coast hip-hop flare. In this incredibly smooth track, the duo's chemistry is never stronger as they feed off each other's energy. von Mering's rap, combined with Schultz's melancholy chorus, make this a memorable and timeless song.

2. "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver (2008)

Whether it's the Birdy or Bon Iver version, both offer an absolutely beautiful sound. The original is a stripped-down, acoustic blues masterpiece. While the vocals show their imperfections, I believe the imperfections makes the song perfect. You get to hear the raw emotions come through. This is the perfect song for a rainy fall afternoon.

3. "Flowers in Your Hair" by The Lumineers (2011)

This is more stomp-and-holler folk than Bon Iver offers. This song is a shot of nostalgia to growing up in Indiana. This song will always remind me of the state fair. The Lumineers started their debut album perfectly with this track. The song builds as it moves on through its verses. As busy as it gets towards the end, you never lose track of the main focal acoustic guitar. The only downside: The song is less than two minutes long.

4. "Hang Me Out to Dry" by Cold War Kids (2006)

It bothers me this song is already nine years old. Anyway, Cold War Kids had their breakout single with this track. The first time I ever heard it was in an Urban Outfitters store. That should be the only thing you need to know. This is a definite early hipster anthem, but a crazy, catchy one at that. The song features an instrumental as its chorus and the result is an infectious keyboard that stays with you the rest of the day.

5. "Paradise" by Coldplay (2011)

Despite its overplayed nature while we were in high school, this song still is a beautiful piece of art. "Paradise" supplies this list with the "big name" song that we needed. Chris Martin is arguably the best lyricist of our generation and this is no exception. Coldplay strays away from their normal path with a song that screams synesthesia from beginning to end.

6. "Houdini" by Foster the People (2011)

2011 was a good year for music, apparently. Mark Foster performed this song on Saturday Night Live a few years ago and I immediately fell in love. Many people argue Foster the People over-produces Foster's voice. If you want a prime example of his vocal talents, this is the song for you.

7. "Hostage" by Jack's Mannequin (2011)

Piano rockers Jack's Mannequin had a nice little run during the mid-2000s. They had a pretty loyal following and 2011's "People and Things" album would be their swan song. This song in the studio does the live version no justice. My recommendation would be to search the live version. You won't be disappointed.

8. "Truce" by Twenty One Pilots (2013)

This song is a complete change of pace from everything else Twenty One Pilots has released. The duo of Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun are normally all about the energy. This time around, it's just Joseph and the piano and the results are absolutely delightful. Try to not shed a tear while listening to this song.

9. "Renegades" by X Ambassadors (2014)

This is a popular song right now and I can see why. It is simple, yet memorable. No matter if you are a fan of alternative or not, this song is sure to satisfy all music lovers.

10. "The Instrumental" by Lupe Fiasco (2006)

This will always be my favorite hip-hop song off all time. Lupe Fiasco is one of the more underrated hip-hop artists of our time and has plenty to say. This song was featured on the video game Madden '07 (the one with Shaun Alexander on the cover). It's a great way to cap off the list and cap off the fall.

Did I miss your favorite fall song? Comment below and let me know what else you think should be on the list! In the meantime you can follow the playlist on Spotify from my account (Jesse Smith or jls7cf). Enjoy the fall, guys!