You Are More Than A Social Status And So Are Your Friends
Mental Health

Stop choosing friends based off who will give you the best social status advantage.

532

If there is one thing I have learned throughout high school and college (so far), it's that you meet a lot of people and a lot of those people can drop you like it is nothing.

I have encountered more two-faced people than I can count, and several of the people I have met are interested in getting to know you up until they find out you aren't what they need to be popular or be loved by everyone.

Even today I can see girls that I know struggling to find the right people that will give them what they want, but they are looking for the wrong things. It doesn't matter how many friends you have, where your friends are on the so-called "social food chain", what sorority they are in, who they hang out with, if they sleep with enough guys, or if they have enough money.

I have seen girls go from friend group to friend group looking for the wrong things.

STOP. Like the saying goes, quality over quantity.

Social statuses are crap. They don't mean anything and are a fixture that is different in everyone's mind.

By focusing on how your friends can help you become better or how being friends with them can benefit you on the social food chain, you are setting yourself up for failure.

You want friends that will build you up sure, but for good things: support, love, care, and help you become a better person as a whole. You don't need a million friends to be validated. You need a friend or two or three or however many you may click with that are going to always have your back and you are always going to have theirs.

This also doesn't happen overnight and not every relationship is going to be perfect.

Don't let jealousy, envy, greed, or your own personal problems jeopardize a potentially good friendship.

Stop trying to use your friends, and start by just being a friend. It isn't about just you in friendships. It takes time and energy and support and love from both ends.

Find the people you can be yourself around, who will call you out on your crap, who will love you no matter what, and who will always be there to support you and have your back. You shouldn't be looking for minions or people who will bow down to everything you say and do. You should look for people who will challenge you to be better and to improve yourself in the best ways.

Don't look to the social status for validation.

Don't let the social status define you or define your friends.

You and your friends are so much more than that.