11 Signs Your College Roommates Are Basically Your (Cooler) Parents

Slightly less bossy, definitely as protective.

205
Sami Newland

For many, moving away from family and home to attend college can be a very hard experience. For the first time, you are without an immediate support system and often have to figure things out for yourself. However, if you are lucky, you may be able to find some humans you mesh well with that make your college town feel a little bit more like home. And if you really like them, you may even decide to live with them.

That's what happened with me and my pals. Over the course of the time we have lived together, we really have become like family. My roommates love and take care of me and sometimes even make me dinner. They are basically like a second set of parents and here's why:

1. They bring you your lunch when you forget it at home.

And might even add a cute little note.

2. They clean your room when you have a "friend" coming over but didn't have time to make your bed that morning.

This actually happened to me. T god for Tracy... first room impressions are important.

3. They pick up the snacks you like at the grocery store.

In this case, dairy-free Ben & Jerry's. But only the coffee caramel flavor.

4. They pester you to get your homework done.

While the reasoning may be different (they want you to drink wine with them), the result is the same.

5. They attend all your games/presentations, even though you say you don't care whether or not they come.

But deep down you are very grateful for their support.

6. They know when you're upset.

7. They plan vacations with their significant other but still bring you along.

Shoutout to Sophie and Kyle for letting me crash Memorial Day Chelan trip 2018 <3.

8. They take care of you when you're sick/drunk.

OK so maybe they are a little more understanding of the post-drinking, late-night debauchery than your real parents, but that's OK.

9. They remind you to do your chores.

If you're like us, you may even have a chore chart.

10. They are your personal photographer.

11. They listen to all of your dumb, nonsense "problems."