Your New Reading List

Your New Reading List

In case you wanted a break from rewatching episodes of The Office on Netflix

12
Your New Reading List
Oxford Dictionaries, Lili Feinberg

I’ve been slightly mourning the loss of summer. Not because I don’t enjoy my classes or love having friends surround me 24/7 at my sorority house, but because I no longer have enough time to read for pleasure. My solution? Reminisce over the books I read this summer and hopefully encourage you, lucky reader, to pick up one of these 15 books the next time you have a moment to spare.

In no particular order, here is a list of all the books I read this summer — well except my French textbook — and my thoughts on them.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

What it’s about: Beginning with an old woman’s reflections on someone’s (possibly her) life in the 1990s, the book flashes back to France in 1939 and follows the lives of two very different sisters as they wrap themselves up in World War II.

My thoughts: By far, this was the best book I read this summer and one of the best books I have ever read period. How can I prove it? After almost 30,000 reviews on Amazon, the novel is still rated with five stars. Honestly, I could not put this one down. Hannah portrayed the sisters’ relationship beautifully and wrote a brilliant story till the very end.

Dear Mr. Knightley: A Novel by Katherine Reay

What it’s about: Samantha Moore is down on her luck. She is jobless and forced to return to her old home that is an orphanage, but at least she still has her favorite characters in literature. One day she receives a mysterious letter from a “Mr. Knightley” that offers to put up the funds if she attends Northwestern University’s prestigious Medill School of Journalism on the condition that she frequently write him letters detailing her progress. Though reluctant, Sam does attend the school and learns to shed her protective persona while possibly finding romance along the way.

My thoughts: Reay’s debut novel was my other favorite book this summer. I just love stories like these ("You’ve Got Mail" is a favorite movie of mine) because they’re always charming and leave me smiling. This one was no different, and it somewhat nice to have the book entirely written in letter format between Sam and Mr. Knightley.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel by Rachel Joyce

What it’s about: One day, elderly Harold Fry receive a letter from an old colleague, Queenie Hennessy, announcing that she is in hospice and likely to die soon — this is her goodbye. Rather than write back, Harold decides leave his plain life for a while and walk several hundred miles to say goodbye to Queenie.

My thoughts: Clearly there seems to be an order forming as my list goes on, but nevermind that now. Joyce’s novel was charming and included both funny, slightly shocking, and of course, sad moments as Harold made his way to say goodbye to Queenie.

One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

What it’s about: A nerdy businessman that’s under investigation for insider trading, a clumsy woman whose never really had a real break, and boy that is a little bit different, and a young girl that is a math wiz are all piled in a car, that can go no more than 40 miles per hour, travel to Scotland in order to attend a math competition. What could possibly happen?

My thoughts: Jojo Moyes is one of my favorite authors; however, it took me three tries to actually get into this book. I’m not entirely sure why because I ended up thoroughly enjoying the story, and thankfully, there was a happy ending.

What She Left Behind and The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman

What they’re about: What She Left Behind is about two women in two completely different eras. Izzy Stone is a modern day teen with some serious baggage that discovers the journal of Clara Cartwright, a woman from the 1920s sent to an insane asylum by her cold father for loving an Italian immigrant. Harsh right? What ensues is story that intertwines the two in an amazing 336 pages.

The Plum Tree is set during the lead-up and the entire course of World War II in Germany. It follows Christine Bolz and her love for Isaac Bauerman, a man who happens to be Jewish. What happens next is sometimes sad, sometimes happy, and always enthralling.

My thoughts: Both amazing. If you have any interest in history or just want to read a beautiful story, then please check these books out.

First Comes Love by Emily Giffin

What it’s about: The novel follows sisters Josie and Meredith Garland that are still reeling the effects of their older brother’s death 15 years prior. They each have problems of their own and are determined to fix them but they can truly only their problems together.

My thoughts: A classic beach read. This book was light, which was great after I had finished The Plum Tree, but I was not entirely pleased with how the author ended the novel. I kept wanting this character to be with that character, and I also just got annoyed with the two women in general. A solid 3 out of 5 stars.

Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

What it’s about: Immediately picking up when World War II is declared in London, this novel follows the lives of Mary, Tom, and Alistair as they all involve themselves in the war in some capacity, albeit small or large.

My thoughts: This book was sweet and sometimes shocking, which I was not expecting at all going into the novel. Curious? You’ll just have to see for yourself.

The Girls by Emma Cline

What it’s about: Lonely teenager Evie Boyd gets wrapped up into a cult with a leader that eerily resembles Charles Manson during the tumultuous 1960s. What follows is a unique coming-of-age story.

My thoughts: Wow, this book was sometimes out of my comfort zone, but I was determined to finish and I did. Some parts I was completely absorbed and other times I felt that the story fell a little flat. Despite this, I still think the book is worth checking out if you haven’t already.

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

What it’s about: A small, private plane crashes one night and only a painter and a four-year-old boy survive. What happened? Was it a conspiracy? A mechanical error?

My thoughts: Per Reese Witherspoon’s recommendation on Snapchat, I immediately snatched this book up at my local Books-A-Million store. This novel was a total thriller. Hawley, an award-winning screenwriter, flips the story back and forth from the present and all the characters up until they meet their fate on the doomed plane ride. In the end, you learn the answer, but they lead up is so good.

Finally, right? The last book, or really written-piece, that I read this summer was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany

What it’s about: I think we all know the answer to that question by now.

My thoughts: I think I’m with the majority here in saying that I really did not enjoy this story as much as I thought I would. Some parts are good and endearing, yes, but the rest is just strange and, at times, weird. I think I know the answer why: J.K. Rowling herself did not write the script, so I treated this story more like glorified fan-fiction. An effect of this script was that it made me extremely nostalgic for the actual Harry Potter series, so I ended up reading the first three books in the span of a little over a week.

Well, there you have it. This is a complete list of all the books I read this summer. Hopefully I’ve inspired you to add a few more books to your reading list.