Is Your Islamophobia Helping ISIS Grow?

Is Your Islamophobia Helping ISIS Grow?

How the "phobia" is allowing this terrorist group to win their war.

13
Is Your Islamophobia Helping ISIS Grow?
Huffington Post

Islamophobia is at an all time high and hey, who can blame the folks who are scared of an entire religion? It makes a ton of sense since the entire population of the largest religion on Planet Earth is responsible for every terrorist attack to have happened in recent years. It is not ludicrous to have a phobia towards a fellow human being let alone more than two billion humans.

Your fear of human beings does more harm than it does good. Besides the fact that you are now demeaning others and making them feel like less of a person, you are ostracizing them so much that you are actually pushing them to join the infamous Islamic State terrorist group.

Let us begin: ISIS, ISIL, Daish, whatever you want to call it is a world threat for being such an effective and powerful terrorist group. And for those of you who do not know what a terrorist is, it is a person who uses violence and intimidation for political gain and to instill fear into you. ISIS is doing a pretty good job at instilling fear into majority of the population, but for the percentage that is not scared- well, they are joining the group thanks to the ever so persuasive and reasonable recruitment videos that can be found on any search engine. With over a quarter of a million ISIS Pledges from all across the globe, one can begin to wonder how are members so willing to be manipulated into giving up their entire lives to fight for a group that wants to annihilate anyone who is essentially not them.

According to the great Republican Presidential Candidate Donald Trump, the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama is actually the founder and leader of ISIS. As stupid as Donald Trump actually is, he was right about one thing: a president founded ISIS. Now, it is more complex than this but prior to Obama's time in office other Presidents would send troops out into the Middle East to make them diplomatic nations, or they would use the Middle Eastern population to spy on other countries: i.e Russia during the cold war. They would train and equip men with top of the line ammunitions to use them in their favor, until these people would become so educated and powerful they would turn against the USA and form groups, terrorist groups to backlash. Backlash at the states for trying to change a government that has been instilled and practiced for years upon years.

Fast forward: since 9/11, Islamophobia has been escalating faster than one can blink, the Islamic population has been dehumanized, alongside other minority groups. For myself, a Muslim woman living in America - I have experienced Islamophobia mildly but that is because I am not committed to wearing a hijab or traditional Islamic clothing, but I have first hand seen friends of mine denied service or mistreated. For what? For being a human with a belief system? Well that's a new one.

So put yourself in my shoes, and the shoes of my fellow brothers and sisters, who year-round face mistreatment. Picture it something like this: you are made fun of, you are denied service, you are denied basic human rights, you were spit on, your property is vandalized, your family is threatened, you are told to drop dead, you are told that you and your people are all killers but all you do is pray to Mecca five times a day asking for peace. And then in the midst of your vulnerability you are persuaded to join a group, where everyone is like you. Where everyone loves you and is allegedly following your religion. Where you are welcomed, where your children and family are safe. You are being sold a utopia, the catch? Risk your life in battle to fight all those that were hating on you in the first place, fight all those that pushed you over the edge in the first place.

There is no difference. It is a fight for a religion, now I will be the first to tell you ISIS is not whatsoever remotely close to Islam, nor should it be a representation of what Islam is or the Quran and the sayings of Prophet Mohammad. But others depict it how they please with their ignorance and miseducation.

As I was saying, the more you push people over the edge, the more likely they are bound to explode. Hypothetically and literally when is an explosion ever a good thing? Before you go off on tangents about how you want to kill all those dirty Allah praising terrorists, or how those A-rabs are taking over your country, remember something, you created the monster. Whether they be Islamic or not, part of ISIS or another terrorist groups their missions are always to destroy those that tried to change them. Islamophobia should not be a word in our vocabulary, it should not be growing and we are allowing the media and political bigots to brainwash us into thinking that Islam is an illness rather than a belief. We act like for thousands of years there have not been genocides based off of religious beliefs and ethnic backgrounds, we "forget" they happened because we did them.

ISIS has proven to be a world threat. As attacks are increasing and there is very little timing between them we must do one thing: educate ourselves, and become more knowledgeable on what ISIS is actually trying to do and why so. Find and realize their objective and why this is happening in the first place. Learn how they rose to power and broke away from Al-Qaeda, or their support with Boko Haram. We must also learn that majority of ISIS does not stem from Syrian Refugees, the pledges of ISIS, the fighters are those from all corners of the world who decided they wanted to feel accepted somewhere. The lesson to be learned? Dehumanizing a person, ostracizing them makes them more of a problem for you in the long run than you think it does now.