Your Guide to Safe Sex: What You Should Know About STDs And STIs

Here are a few things you knew, and some you didn't!

133

College students share many things, from notes, to living spaces, and now the rising stigma adds sexually transmitted diseases (STD) to the list. There is an increasing amount of social stigma associated with STDs, because people do not feel comfortable talking about it. The discussion is often pushed to the side, and underestimated within the student population. Discussion about sexually transmitted infections (STI) often go unnoticed because they show no physical signs, and someone can be unaware that they have the disease.

Adolescents ranging from ages 10 - 19 years old, and young adults ranging from ages 20 - 24, have a higher risk of acquiring STDs for various amount of reasons. Some people may be more likely to have multiple sexual partners rather than a single, long-term relationship. Some people may be more likely to engage in unprotected intercourse, and they may be involved with partners at a higher risk. People often don't know they have an STD, they might be less likely to practice safer sex, and can pass their infection to another partner, hence perpetuating the cycle.

There’s a lot of uncertainty between the two terms STDs and STIs. Sexually transmitted diseases are often identifiable whereas sexually transmitted infections are more unidentifiable and cause no real problems. There are a vast amount of sexually transmitted diseases, some more common than others, but each has its own level of effectiveness.

HIV also known as human immune deficiency is a more common disease. There is an important difference: over time, your immune system clears most viruses out of your body. However, that isn't the case with HIV. The human immune system can't seem to get rid of it. This makes the disease incurable.

One last fact that many young people are unaware of is that oral sex is not considered “safe sex.” Although it is less likely, one can still contract STDs through giving, or receiving oral sex. Sexually risky behaviors coupled with alcohol use, tend to elevate college student’s risks of contracting STDs.

In certain cases, one does not typically know they have the disease. There are a variety of ways to keep yourself from contracting an STD or STI such as practicing safe sex by using contraceptives, or the most effective which is, practicing abstinence.

Abstinence is when one withholds from having sex until marriage.

If sexually active, make sure you stay strapped and you and your partner get tested every 3 to 6 months. Click here to find the nearest clinic!