Dear National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

To Those Who Really Feel The Weight Of National Eating Disorder Week, I Get It

It doesn't matter what your body type is, it is yours to have and to hold and to love no matter what stage it's in.

84

When you look in the mirror, the first thing you see is a body — your body. This outer shell that encapsulates your being, the physical representation of you. Bodies have been judged since the beginning of time. In the ancient worlds, fuller body types were held as the standard; thick, round rolls adorned waistlines, cheeks, and legs. I guess the equivalent of an Ashley Graham or even a Lizzo. They would feel "Good as Hell" then as much as they do now.

Then somewhere along the line, ideals shifted.

For women specifically, the same rolls and flaps on our skin had to be hidden by something to constrict them — perhaps a corset. These have health complications that we are more aware of now but in the "renaissance" it was the birth of a new, deadly standard. Women had to have tiny waists yet big behinds. We see that today as well... Kardashians anyone? Many people would kill for the physique that Kim and others seem to maintain so well, naturally or not. These standards are highly unrealistic, especially for women of color. Black women's bodies, for example, are still subjected to so much judgment and are still commodified even today. Through various POC body positive movements, we could see it has a different more positive representation. Yes, it is true that there is more variety of body types, shapes and sizes out there today. I can look on a magazine cover and not only see non-white bodies, but a variety of shapes and sizes.

But still, it's hard to internalize if you don't fit the image on the cover.

She's either slim-thick or plus-sized.

Or athletic.

Or supermodel, tall and slim.

Or supermodel, tall plus-size.

And maybe you want it all. Maybe you are one and want to be another. If you've always been slim and want to be plus-sized in the places that society deems okay, then you'd have to do massive changes to your body to get there. Likewise, if you wanted to lose weight to become supermodel tall and slim or to have abs as firm as Kehlani does in her music videos, you'd have to not only change your entire diet but workout regimen. Although adhering to an active, objectively "healthier" lifestyle is good, if it's obsessive and done out of shame or envy for a body that is not naturally yours it is not.

The point is, no matter what you do with your body, do it FOR the betterment of your body and yourself, not because of societal ideals. That's when it becomes dangerous.

This is not to tell you to stop working out. Or to throw caution into the wind and eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (though I guess you can — live your life). But it's to tell you that you are more than just your body.

Your worth isn't defined by how you look, contrary to societal standards.

You must find what you love about you, regardless of if you have your ideal body type. Of course with moderation, time, the right exercises you CAN achieve a healthier body. But if you are a plus-sized person avoiding two out of the three meals a day to lose weight or a slim person who feels that they need to eat twice their body weight in order to gain weight, there is an issue.

As long as you are healthy and your heart is beating, blood is pumping, brain is churning with new ideas and forming new experiences along the way every day, then you are alive and well.

And smart.

And talented.

And bold.

And can make positive change.

Our weight fluctuates and our bodies change as we grow. But as long as we grow with it, not against it, then maybe we would have a better inward relationship with ourselves, to extend outward to others.

When you look in the mirror the first thing you see is your body — your body and you.

Stay healthy. Stay alive.