Should I vote?

I Asked My Peers The Real Reason They Don't Vote And These Are The 9 Things They Said

So why do people choose not to vote at all?

103
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/voting

Is voting something that is important to you? Having the right to vote is one of the most important rights that we have in the United States. Even though many of us are eligible to vote, younger generations consistently have younger turnout in the polls than older generations. With this being a reoccurring trend, I began to wonder why this is the case.

I asked many people why they choose not to vote in elections and this is what they had to say.

1. "The major topics discussed right now in politics are ones that I do not resonate with."

"I wish we could be talking less about immigrants coming into the U.S. and more about environmental issues and finding ways to lower education costs."

2. "I have a hard time voting because I feel like my vote doesn't matter."

"My one vote just won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Why should I vote if I feel like my voice isn't being heard? I wish I felt like my vote mattered more."

3. "I don't know much about politics."

"Even with technology constantly at our fingertips, I still don't feel confident that I am very knowledgeable when it comes to political issues. I don't spend enough time keeping up with the news, but I know that I should."

4. "I don't know who to vote for."

"No matter what stories and news I see, I'm not sure what to believe is true. Almost every media outlet is biased and spends time and effort trying to make their audiences agree with what they are saying. How am I supposed to know who to trust?"

5. "I don't align one hundred percent with any political party."

"This is one of the biggest challenges for me because it seems like I can either only pick to vote Republican or Democratic and that anything else is not normal. I feel pressure to choose either one or the other like it's us versus them and vice versa. I wish politics wasn't so divided."

6. "Old white men."

"They aren't going to vote in my best interest and they don't understand what my needs are. If there were younger individuals that I could resonate with I would be more inclined to vote."

7. "I dislike both of the candidates."

"I'd rather see what happens during the elections. I don't want to have to pick the lesser of two evils. When it came to the 2016 presidential election, I feel no need to choose either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump because I wished neither of them would get elected."

8. "The process of voting takes way too long."

"I hate the idea of having to wait in line forever. I heard about how much a pain waiting in the long lines can be in polling places. I can't afford to miss class or get off of work to stand in line for hours."

9. "Sometimes I feel like all politicians are corrupt."

"I can't bring myself to trust any of them. I wish there was a way I could know who is trustworthy and ethical, but it seems impossible to know for sure."

These reasons for not voting are understandable. The decision to vote or not is a personal choice, but voting is a right we have in the United States that many people in the world do not have. Go ahead and educate yourself on important topics as well as use a variety of sources to receive news. Despite the assumption that your voice doesn't matter, it truly does, You can make your voice heard.