Three Young Hong Kong Leaders Sit in Jail Tonight, Not Charged with Violence, But with Protest
Politics

The Chinese administration muffles the voices of Hong Kong's youth, but not the zeal of their hearts.

9

In 2014, Hong Kong youth became the faces of the fervent Umbrella Movement, a protest movement that sought to pressure Beijing into granting freer elections of Hong Kong’s Chief Executive. Memories of the Umbrella Movement include hundreds of its namesake filling the streets of Hong Kong and guarding the bodies of activists from pepper spray. Three of the young Umbrella Movement leaders – Joshua Wong, Nathan Law, and Alex Chow – have been jailed.

Although Hong Kong is known for its status as a special administrative region within China with some autonomy, recent, increased dissent in Hong Kong has prompted stricter control of the city from the Chinese administration. Over the course of the year, dozens of young Hong Kong activists have been imprisoned for their participation in various demonstrations. Several dissident members of Hong Kong’s Legislative Council, the only legislative body directly elected by Hong Kong’s citizens, have been removed by the Chinese government.

Young activists like Wong, Law, and Chow have repeatedly stepped out in the face of the Chinese administration's suppression. Unfortunately, young Hong Kong activists are repeatedly being punished for voicing their concerns over administrative processes and advocating for the rights of their neighbors.

Despite the immense obstacles infringing on their efforts, the young leaders of the Umbrella Movement continue to be optimistic of Hong Kong's future. Joshua Wong, one of the most notable faces of the Umbrella Movement, posted a series of tweets just before his imprisonment, broadcasting his persistent determination and hope for Hong Kong.