You Don't Have To Have It All Figured Out: You're Still Young
Siblings

You Don't Have To Have It All Figured Out, You're Still Young

Stop stressing; it will all work out.

467

I think being in your twenties can be such a weird time. Some people are getting engaged, married and/or having kids. Other people are stressing over classes and passing exams. Some people may be going out every night to the bars.

There's often this misconception that you have to have your life figured out while you're still young.

In college, everywhere we turn, we are bombarded by questions. What's your major? What are you going to do with your degree? Are you going to grad school after undergrad? What career do you want to have? Will that support you? Do you want to be married? Do you want to have kids?

Chances are you are just trying to take things day by day. Not having everything figured out when you are young is OK. Why is it OK? College is all about finding who you are. College is a time of a lot of change and growth. How would someone know exactly what they want to do 5-10 years from now when they are still trying to understand themselves? You can figure out your likes and dislike. What are your passions? Who do you want to be? What goals do you want to meet? All of these things take time. All this does not happen overnight.

"There is no designated time for anything in your life. You don't have to have your first kiss at any certain time, you don't have to get married in your 20's and you don't have to do anything just because other people think it's best. In fact, you will be much better off if you just do what your heart says. The day you stop caring what other people think is the day their opinions don't mean anything, because you're not there to give them weight." — Brianna Wiest, "10 Things I Wish I Could Have Told Myself 5 Years Ago"

"You don't have to get a job that makes others feel comfortable about what they perceive as your success. You don't have to explain what you plan to do with your life. You don't have to justify your education by demonstrating its financial rewards. You don't have to maintain an impeccable credit score. Anyone who expects you to do any of those things has no sense of history or economics or science or the arts.You have to pay your electric bill. You have to be kind. You have to give it all you got. You have to find people who love you truly and love them back with the same truth. But that's all." ― Cheryl Strayed, "Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar"

If I have learned anything since college, it is that it is OK for things not to go as planned. It's OK to change your plans. It's OK to make mistakes. It's OK to be uncertain. I've learned to enjoy every moment without adding unnecessary stress, pressure, and expectations.

It's OK to not have everything in your life figured out.