In Defense Of Reading Young Adult Literature As An Adult

Young people are people, too.

161
Givinguponperfect.com

Young adult fiction: a category separated from other (see: “adult”) fiction. Today, novels featuring young adults are dominating both page and screen. From hits like John Green’s "The Fault in Our Stars" to Veronica Roth’s "Divergent," young adult literature is an ever-expanding genre with an increasing number of readers. But as a genre focused on younger people, it is often scoffed at and misunderstood by older generations.

Young adult literature is deceptively viewed as surface-level material, a genre criticized for lacking the depth and authority of “serious literature.” Criticisms underscore things like a simplistic writing style, vapid conversation and unrealistic plots. This viewpoint ignores the positive aspects of YA literature — how it stimulates emotions, encourages empath, and creates connections. Its high relatability for teen readers is also criticized as a crutch for teenagers to avoid issues in the “real world.” However, the relatability of YA is one of its greatest values. By establishing a connection with the reader, a YA novel can then spur new ideas and viewpoints. The accessible relatability of teen-centered stories is a jumping-off point for young adults to consider challenging issues, despite seemingly simplistic plotlines.

One reason that YA literature is ridiculed by adults is its association with the millennial generation. Society gives millennials a commonly misunderstood and belittled cultural identity. Millennial teenagers are expected to be incapable of expressing empathy, grappling with difficult topics or escaping their self-centered internet haze. Many adults refer to YA novels as if they are written in a different language and their “teenage themes” need to be translated, further exacerbating the genre’s poor reputation. But in the words of author John Green, this “assumes that so-called 'millennials' need a translator.” Perhaps if these critics were not so condescending, young adults would not be seen as a category of people who require "translation."

This phenomenon causes embarrassment for adults reading YA novels. Is this because it is embarrassing to be a teenager? Embarrassing to empathize with or be captivated by a story about a teenager? Such biases are rooted in the association of YA literature with all the demeaning stereotypes of millennials. But the complexity within YA literature, and teenagers’ high response rate to it, is a testament to the inaccuracy of this viewpoint.

Another reason for the scorn of YA literature is its association with “chick lit.” Much of YA fiction features female protagonists, who are often portrayed as role models for teenage girls. But novels featuring female teenagers are written off as “chick lit,” a genre ridiculed for unrealistic romanticism, self-absorption, and vapidity. And by default of a sexist and patriarchal society, this genre categorized as simplistic and inferior to “real” fiction is literature for girls. There is no such thing as “male” or “guy” lit; books with male protagonists are just books. This is true for YA and adult fiction alike, as “chick lit” is a label applicable to books with teenage and middle-aged protagonists.

YA literature will never be Shakespearean. It will never be the most well-written work published or a classical literary model, and this is okay — because YA lit is something different. It inspires teenagers in ways that Shakespeare never could. This is not to say that young people cannot understand Shakespeare, despite the condescending assumption that consumers of YA novels do not possess the mental aptitude to understand and analyze classical literature. They can. But enjoying YA novels has nothing to do with intelligence and instead, everything to do with appreciating an art form that both inspires and reassures young people.

YA fiction is a genre of identity conflict, challenge, growth, fear, friendship and change. It assures teenagers that they are not alone, and appeals to adults for the same reason. It embodies the teenagers who will grow up to be the game-changers, the rule-benders, and free-thinkers of the world. Young adult novels are novels. Young people are people. Neither grouping should be overlooked.