13 Young Adult Books You Might've Missed This Year

There's been something for everyone.

177
Emma Saska

A lot of books published in 2016 (at the start of the year, I had over 200 on my Goodreads shelf that were specifically unreleased 2016 titles), so it's a given that even someone as well-read as me might miss a few. But what about people who aren't book bloggers or who don't have close connections to book bloggers? How will they know about all the young adult books that didn't win an award or get a movie adaptation? Why should they have to miss out on hidden gems? In an effort to counter this issue, here are 13 YA books that released this year and you might've missed.

1. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

Historical fantasy, pirates, time travel, and interesting familial dynamics all meet in Heidi's excellent debut.

2. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

Ever want to read some fantasy that isn't based in Europe (or a European-like world)? Look no further than Roshani Chokshi's debut novel.

3. The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily Anderson

Or if you love humorous stories, Shakespeare retellings, and/or nerd culture, Lily Anderson's debut is quite possibly my favorite book of 2016. I kind of want to be Trixie.

4. The Forbidden Orchid by Sharon Biggs Waller

If you prefer quieter historical fiction, this one is absolutely for you. I loved that it explored a time in history rarely looked at, plus the heroine, Elodie, used her strength in different ways.

5. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

Morgan Matson can do no wrong, in my opinion. Her books are some of the best contemporary fiction out there. This one features plenty of wonderful dogs, another great book boyfriend, and realistic friend group dynamics.

6. The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye

Imperial Russia, lush settings, and magic. What more could you ask for???

7. The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash

Nerd culture. Well-handled "friendzoning." Homages to eighties movies. What more could you ask for?

8. P.S. I Like You by Kasie West

Kasie is the queen of cute, fluffy romances. This one is basically like a YA You've Got Mail, with a great family thrown into the mix.

9. The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

This is actually book two in a terrific duology, so if you haven't read The Fixer yet, then get on that. Then buy The Long Game (or check it out from the library) so the publisher will be convinced to buy a (needed) third book from the amazing Jennifer Lynn Barnes.

10. The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winters

Genderbent, racebent Hamlet meets 1930s Oregon. The retelling I never knew I needed.

11. Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee

Have you ever wanted to read about a spunky teen girl in San Francisco right around the earthquake of 1906? Either way, Outrun the Moon is most definitely one of the best books of 2016.

12. Lucky Few by Kathryn Ormsbee

All I've got to say for this one is: ACCURATE PORTRAYAL OF HOMESCHOOLERS.

13. Double Down by Gwenda Bond

If you're on the edge of your seat, ready for the Wonder Woman movie, than it's high time you read Gwenda Bond's teenage Lois Lane books. Fallout released last spring, and this year's Double Down was just as good.

So there you have it. Thirteen more books y'all need to consider reading. And if you've already read all of these, then you know where to find me. I'm always happy to give more recommendations.