You Walked Away

You Walked Away

To the family that walked away when I needed them most.

30
You Walked Away

We never expect people to walk out of our lives. we never want to lose close relationships such as friends, family or great colleagues. But, it happens.

Relationships end in many ways. Two friends getting into a fight and never working it out. Distance does not make the heart grow fonder. No longer seeing that person every day. People "change." We can all agree that we have lost a relationship with a person over something small, maybe over something large, and that's okay, we agree that that relationship needed to end. But what if a relationship ended that you did not want to end?

This happens all the time. Maybe your significant other cheated on you. Maybe a friend or colleague just stopped talking to you and never told you why. But I never would have thought that someone would walk away from me for making the best decision of my life.

Growing up I was very close to a family that lived around the corner form me. They became my second family and took me in when things got rough at home. Invited me to all their family get together's and holiday parties. Helped me move into college my Freshman year. This family gave me the family that I never truly had. The mother of the family was the closest thing I had ever had to a mother (since my mother passed away when I was just 5 years old). The kids were all like brothers and sisters to me. The father was not necessarily like a second father to me but treated me like one of his own. He gave me wonderful advice and always made sure that my car was in the best shape. This family helped me through some tough times in my life. They always wanted what was best for me. Always pushed me and supported me in school and in sports. The mother of the family helped me through every boyfriend issue I had as well as just regular female issues. I never could have imagined my life without this family.

When I graduated from college, this family was unable to make it since their own son (a brotherly figure to me) was graduation from college the same day. through the grapevine they had heard that father was at my graduation. This family was not very fond of my father or the life I lived with my father. They are allowed to feel and think what they like. But no matter what my father is my father and I love him dearly. Well, after graduation I tried to contact this family and talk about graduation day and the events that happened. They did not want to talk to me. They felt that I chose my father over them and others in my life (who were also at graduation and upset that my father was there). Ever since that day they have not spoken to me.

You walked away when I needed you most. you walked away during the best times of my life. you walked away and never looked back. since you have walked out of my life, my life has become a million times better. yes there are still issues in life just like there are for everyone, but life has been good, and you are not here to witness it or be apart of it. You walked away from me, for walking towards my father. You always wanted my relationship with my father to be better, you always wanted him to be better guy and well he is. He always was. but you walked away. so you cant see it for yourself.

Watching my second family, and the woman who I called "mom" walk away from me was heart breaking. They did not want to hear me speak, they did not care to hear "my side of the story" they just ended their relationship with me. How do you end a relationship with a person you were so very close to for 8 years? I still to this day do not understand. I do not know why they would walk away form me on the best day of my life. But what I do know, is that it is their loss. They have not seen me get a job in a career I love. They have not seen me start a relationship with a man I know they would love. They have not seem me move into my own apartment. They have not seen me grow into an independent adult that is loving her life.

I may not understand their motives behind walking away from me, I may not know where they are at in life, what they are doing, how the kids are. But I do still love them. I do miss them. If I could ever speak to them again this is what I would say: you walked away from me when I needed you most, and it made me realize that I never needed you at all. You kept me away from having the relationship I have and needed with my father. You kept me away from making decisions for myself and learning life lesson in my own. You did however, show me what a true family is. You showed me how to love deeply. You taught me many things and game me many great memories I will never forget. But I realized that you were never good for me and that you kept me away from the things and people that are good for me. You said you loved me, and wanted what was best for me, and always said I would do great things in life. How ironic that you are no longer around and the best things in lfie are happening, I am happier than I have ever been before and you walked away.