Who Is Your Hero?

Who Is Your Hero?

Fight for yourself because sometimes no one else will

35
Who Is Your Hero?
WordPress

When we were younger, adults typically asked “who is your hero,” or “who do you look up to?” These answers ranged from parents, older siblings, teachers, firemen, police officers, etc. Those were all acceptable answers, but what about now? Who do we consider our heroes? If someone were to approach you today and question who you considered your hero, what would your answer be? Any answer is acceptable, even those from our childhood, but if you went through anything similar to me – which I have written in the post Before the Journey Began, on my personal blog—then you would ponder this question, and hopefully your answer would be: you. You are your own hero.

At some point in our lives, we have lost people dear to us—whether that be through death, or the end of a friendship— gone through mental health issues, and let’s not forget the heartbreaking ending to shows such as Zoey 101, or Hannah Montana. During that time, we felt as though we'd never get through it on our own. In some cases, that may be true. Some of us, myself included, needed guidance, or an extra push helping us to believe that we could overcome our struggles, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, you cannot be completely reliant on them. You cannot sit around waiting for something to happen, or someone to save you because you will end up waiting an eternity. Even if that person(s) is in the background cheering you on, only one person's actions matter: ours. If we don't stand on our own two feet, believe in ourselves and take action, then we will never reach a point beyond where we are now.

Underneath the surface, there may be that recurring sense of fear and doubt, but that's okay because that may never completely go away. You were at rock bottom, and the memory of that never fades away, but look how far you have come. Overcoming your situation(s) weren’t easy, believe me, yet through all the trials and tribulations you pushed through. That homework you neglected because depression hit, was completed, even if it was three weeks late. That person who turned you down, ended up being a cheater anyways, so you dodged a bullet. Every curve ball thrown at you, managed to engrave the belief of never trudging through life, yet you did. You want to know how? Strength and determination. You were pushed so far down, the furthest you have ever been, and you managed to get back up again. You are still alive, and that may not seem like it is much, but it is everything. Life wasn’t and isn't always fair to us, and yet somehow, here we are, having only minor dents and bruises.

Please don't waste away waiting for Superman, or your knight in shining armor. Put your game face on, and overcome all the adversities life throws at you. Be your own Superman. Be your own hero because at the end of the day, you are always there to build yourself back up; you are always there when no one else is.