You Owe Me.

You Owe Me.

"The world should give me everything."- Some Millennial

19
You Owe Me.
Broke Agent

I don't know what's gotten into our generation. Maybe it's the fact that when we were all little, everyone got a trophy. You got a trophy if you lost, it may have been smaller, but it was still a trophy. Today, that trophy has gotten bigger inside of our minds. We seem to think that the world owes us. Well newsflash; it doesn't. The world is the same way it was decades ago. The only thing changing...is us. We are trying to change the world and make it fit how we want it to be. Some people say, "I want conveniency." While others whisper, "I just want to be equal". You are what you settle to be. Are you tired of being treated like crap and put down repeatedly? Then get up, dust your pants off, and get going. Ignore all of those voices that are telling you that you won't succeed and just get the job done. It's not about them, it's about you.

To the people saying that you want conveniency. It's not about you at this point. The world does not owe you a convenient life where everything is rainbows and butterflies. You have to bust your butt just like the person next to you. Oh..but wait..you're butt hurts? Well, too bad. Get used to it.

My generation says that they are so tired of people telling them that they act like they deserve everything, but they fail to realize that is the truth. I fail to realize that as well. I thought I had it rough tonight when I had only $2 left in my wallet. I failed to realize that my wallet was empty because I just bought Christmas presents for fun and had a warm bed in a nice dorm waiting for me 5 minutes down the street. I failed to realize that I had a meal plan that so many students take for granted when there are hundreds of people wondering where they will get their next meal from right down the road. I failed to realize it and so did you. My generation does not have it rough, regardless of what they think.

I won't sit here and define rough for everyone, but for me, having it rough means that you are without. You don't have money, you are barely making ends meet, and you're having to work constantly to climb up a ladder that just keeps pushing you down. That's rough. Maybe your rough is different. Maybe your rough is not having a breakfast fixed for you by your nanny, or having to wear the same jeans from the day before.

My generation thinks that people owe us things and I have no idea why. I can sit here and try to think back on my childhood and rack my head for ideas of why my generation is spoiled, but the only thing I can come up with is bad parenting. You see, half of my generation was raised by the baby boomers, and the other half was raised by the grandparents of the baby boomers. Bad parenting was somehow slid in there between the multiple divorces people had and the "my kid is my best-friend" mentality. Moms and dads decided they wanted to be the "cool parents" and let their parenting slip. Now, I'm not going to blame everything on the parents, but you do have to acknowledge that the parents of my generation do have a lot to blame for.

If you sit down and really look at it, you'll see how certain millennials were blessed with parents who had everything in the world and didn't really worry about their kid (Thus meaning their kid would take it upon themselves to think the world owes them everything as well since they received everything from their parents). Other millennials have parents who have worked their entire lives to get everything they owned, and this enforced a drive into some millennials to bust their butt. It depends on the child and the parent. What was their relationship like?

Now, I'll end my rant here, but what I want you to remember most is that while my generation thinks that the world owes us, they were brought up like that by a certain age group.