You Need a Filipino Friend—And It's Not Just Because We Always Make Sure You’re Never Hungry

Filipinos are known for our big families, and that family includes you!

101

Filipinos! You know at least one whether you know it or not. A couple of notable Filipinos, or at least part Filipinos, include Manny Pacquiao, Bruno Mars, Vanessa Hudgens, and Nicole Scherzinger. But, if you're lucky to personally know one, you know just how amazing these Pinoys are and how you can never feel sad around one. No, it's not because we are a magical people, but it is because of these 10 reasons.

1. Our food is amazing. 

Yes, I know this is a pretty basic reason, but it's a darn good reason still. Our food may not be the healthiest, but sure as heck is it the most savory and the most plentiful. If you ever have the chance to attend a Filipino party or "potluck," be ready to take home a couple of to go boxes and Ziploc bags full of food to last you for the next week.

2. We can give you your very own Beyoncé concert.

We sing. We dance. We also love basketball. So we're basically your very own family of Troy Boltons. I can attest to the fact that at every major family party there is at least some sort of singing or dancing performance to provide the headlining entertainment for the celebrant.

3. You will never have a dull conversation with us. 

From telling stories about our childhoods and explaining our elaborate family tree to sharing Filipino folklore like the "Legend of Alitaptap" (the story of how fireflies came to be) and the scary stories of the aswang, an evil shape-shifting spirit, similar to our more familiar vampires, we're always here to entertain.

4. Our pride in our culture. 

We all know how proud Filipinos are to be Filipino. We see it in the support for our country by wearing jackets that have our flag on them to never missing a Manny Pacquiao fight. Through good times and bad, we will always be supportive and proud of our family, including you! Got a big performance or event coming up? You bet we'll make it there to support you, cheer you on, and brag to the people passing by that we know you and how proud we are of all you've accomplished.

5. We will help you with your ambitions.

Even though there's always that stereotype of Filipino families wanting their sons and daughters to become doctors and nurses, the real reason behind that is our families just wanting us to have enough money in the future to live and raise a family more comfortably than they were. The bottom line is that we just want all the success in the world for you, and you better bet every time we meet up, we'll be checking up on you. "How are classes going? Are you studying well for your exams? You know your Tita over there works for so and so company and she could really give you some advice and maybe help you get a job!" You have one of us as your friend, and we'll keep you accountable as you try and reach your goals and will be with you every step of the way.

6. We make the best party buddies. 

From our extensive knowledge of all the line dances known to man to our ability to hold alcohol fairly well, we are always down to go for a night out with you, and more importantly, we will always make sure you get home safe at the end of the day.

7. We're always down for some basketball (or any sport for that matter).

Although we aren't famous for our height, we love basketball—and really, watching any other sport as well. Football games, basketball games, baseball games, even golf will be on the TV at some point in any given Filipino household. So, if you ever want a friend to talk draft picks with or need someone to go with you to the next game, we've got your back.

8. We're always there to check up on your love life.

Once you're a part of the family, you too will have all of the aunties asking you if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend or not. But, if you already do have a s/o, then you bet we'll also be asking how they've been, and they'll automatically become a part of the family too.

9. You won't have to worry about being late to a party.

When we say the party starts at 5, it really means everyone get here at 7. Plus, we'll wait for everyone until we start eating, even if you're only "five minutes away" when you're really just getting out of bed. So it's really Filipino for us, the party doesn't start till you walk in!

10. You become a part of a huge family.

Not only do you become a part of our actual family, but you join a group of friends who immediately take you in and treat you as family. I can certainly attest to this one. When I first moved from California to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, I basically knew no one. But then, I found my home-away-from-home by joining the Philippine Student Association. I was able to meet so many new people, Filipino and non-Filipino, and even join families through our big brother/big sister program. If I ever needed a place to stay, someone to study with, someone to destress with, or just someone to talk to, I could always find it within my new family. With the people I have met and the relationships I have created, these bonds will surely last a lifetime.

So yes, some of the Filipino stereotypes may more or less be true, but for the most part, it isn't a bad thing at all. Having a Filipino friend is probably one of the best things you can have because, without a doubt, we will be by your side until the very end.