An Open Letter To My Best Friend Of Eight Years

Thank you.

231
Favim.com

Dear Best Friend,

Thank you for being my person.

Most people go through ‘best friends’ left and right. Not that I’m the exception, though, because we grow and change and unfortunately everyone’s not meant to stay in our lives forever. I’m lucky. I’ve had a constant best friend for eight years-- YOU!

When we met in middle school, I never imagined we’d still be friends in college. Not only are you my best friend, but you’re my sister too. Over the years, I’ve grown to love you just as dearly as I would if we were biological sisters. In fact, I love you with all of my heart and thank God for you every day. You’re my person and I would do anything for you.

From the days of giggling about our crushes at sleepovers to the days of talking about marriage at sleepovers (some things never change: boys and sleepovers), I’ve always trusted you to keep my secrets safe, be honest with me, and only laugh at me when it’s appropriate. We’ve spent countless nights at each other’s houses, shared each other’s clothes, went on family vacations together, shared birthday parties (yes, you’re still ten days older), endured you being diagnosed with cancer, graduated high school together, and now, we’re in college together. So, how did I get so lucky?

I’ve had other great friends throughout my life, but no one has quite ever compared to you. I like to think of myself as someone who leaves a positive impact on someone everywhere I go. I try to love everyone the way they deserve to be loved, let my light shine, and be there whenever anyone needs me. Because I’m always so focused on myself leaving an impact, I sometimes forget to step back and see how others have impacted my own life.

So, here it is, an open thank you letter to my best friend. Thank you for being you.

Yep, that’s it.

All joking aside, thank you for sticking by me when it seems like everyone else has left. Thank you for staying through the dramatic, puberty-stricken, nightmare-like days of middle school. Thank you for making me feel like family- all the special occasions, holidays, birthday parties, and vacations I was invited on, they certainly have not gone unappreciated. Thank you for supporting me in all of my endeavors and having my back when some of them came crashing down around me. Thank you for calling me to come over the day you were diagnosed with cancer; the fact that you wanted me to be there for you at that moment will forever mean the world to me. Thank you for not posting ALL of the ugly pictures you like to take of me when I’m not paying attention… or when I’m asleep. Thank you for buying me food and for letting me eat the rest of yours, even if you really wanted it. Thank you for coming to stay the weekends with me in college, even when you have homework.

Most of all, thank you for being you when I need you the most. No one will ever know just how much our friendship means to me because even I have a hard time wrapping my head around it sometimes. I just wanted you to know what a blessing you are to me and to everyone you cross paths with. You’re so kind, supportive, and you love so well. You have so much potential and a heart of gold and I’ll always be your #1 fan throughout everything life throws your way.

I hope that one day, I can be as good of a friend to you as you are to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not just being my best friend, but for being my person.

Love,

Your Best Friend