You Dictate Your College Experience: It's On You

You Dictate Your College Experience, It's On You

Your college experience is all about what you make it.

103

Growing up, I commonly heard the phrase that "only aggressive people get places in this world", and I used to think it was a phrase most people had commonly heard. The phrase sticks with me even in my junior year of college. Now, I'm not saying aggressive as in acting aggressive or passive aggressive toward others, but more so in the sense of getting somewhere within your own life, or making the most of it. Most people feel that overall, their college experience was positive and that they enjoyed it. However, there are always a few people that you run into in college that blame universities for their college experience, or that they feel like they aren't getting enough. Potentially, you may have chosen a school that may be falling short of what you need; I get that, or maybe you choose a place that once served for what you wanted to do, but now you have changed. But what it ultimately comes down to, is you.

When I transferred to Butler University, I could've easily of gotten lost.

I could've regularly attended classes, met some people, and probably been okay. However, what I choose to do was to make this campus give me the most out of the thousands of dollars that my parents (who I love to the ends of the Earth) are paying for. What I realized was so much easier at a smaller school versus a large university, was the ability to really get what you want out of your college experience. I am flooded with emails every day of opportunities on campus. Sometimes they don't apply to me, and other times I ignore them. But when I get an email that offers me additional insight into an internship opportunity, a chance to advance my knowledge and research, a chance to join a club applicable to what I hope to do one day, or etc., I am giddy because if I take the leap of faith to apply myself or give a new opportunity a go, I know it will work in my favor or I can learn something new about myself or life itself.

College campuses give you so many resources to be successful. The part about college that feels strange to some, is the fact that people will no longer hold your hand. It is on you to talk to professors about help on an assignment or to meet with advisors to find connections to internships and jobs. Before you look to criticize ask yourself what you are doing to further yourself or even help yourself.

It all comes down to the effort you put in. The effort you put into your education, your friends, the amount you're involved in, and the fun you have. You make your overall college experience; it's on you.