30 Things Every Coloradan Knows To Be True

There's no place like home.

331
Melvin Seals

1. Hills are not mountains.

When I moved to California and people referred to the measly little mounds of dirt as mountains, I was instantly offended.

2. Casa Bonita is trash.

Everyone knows their food is inedible and yet, they still go for the cliff divers. Nearly every kid in Denver had a birthday party at Casa Bonita once. (I, unfortunately, was not one of the lucky ones).

3. It's never too cold for ice cream.

I will eat ice cream 24/7/365 even if it's zero degrees outside

4. Daniels' Park and Lookout Mountain are the best late night spots.

Driving to one of these spots on a date is a right of passage.

Source: Wiloughby Owen

5. Colfax is a major no-no.

Our parents warned us against going there, especially at night.

Source: Quickmeme

6. But there are plenty of treasures down there if you're willing to brave it.

Voodoo Doughnuts ,DP Dough calzones, Denver Biscuit Company - oh my!

7. There's nothing like Bronco pride.

Fun fact: The water pressure in the entire city of Denver drops so much during halftime that at first, the water company thought a pipe had burst. Turns out, no one wants to miss the game and everyone goes to the bathroom at the same time. If that's not a city-wide commitment, I don't know what is.

8. The construction is never-ending.

This Christmas break, for the first time I can remember, I was able to drive down I-25 between Santa Fe and 8th avenue without having to stop for construction. Seriously, it's been there since I was little and cruising through that spot felt miraculous.

9. There's no better concert venue than Red Rocks.

If you haven't been to a Red Rocks concert, you haven't lived.

Source: Wikimedia

10. DIA is super cool.

Once you look past all the conspiracy theories, the hidden messages, and the demon horse, you come to realize that our airport is probably the coolest in the country.

Source: Eric Golub

11. Hiking is an all-season sport.

There's no off-season for certain outdoor activities back home. Hiking is one of those things that people will continue to do no matter what the weather's like outside. From glimmering untouched snow in the winter to the briskness of spring days to the clear summer skies to the indescribable colors of the trees in the fall, there's no bad time to go for a hike.

12. Summer rain is no big deal.

Practically every day in the summer, it pours for a little while and then it clears up just as quickly as it rolled in. These refreshing afternoon storms provide much-needed moisture and don't stick around long enough to be any more than slightly inconvenient.

13. Halloween costumes always had to be planned around your coat.

Every winter, the first snow would roll around sometime around Halloween or maybe a little before. Even if it isn't snowing, though, it's bound to be chilly on the last day of October. Any Halloween costumes that didn't go well with a jacket would be quickly eliminated.

14. You'll wear flip flops no matter what the weather's like.

Walking out to get your mail in flip flops with 9 inches of snow outside is no big deal. On the other side, if you don't wear flip flops in the summer you're likely to fry the soles of your feet off.

15. The sunsets are amazing (and the sunrises if you manage to get up early enough).

Being a mile closer to the sun has its perks.

16. You have a love-hate relationship with out of towners.

Tourists be like (plus coming for the weed and clogging up the highways):

17. And people who can't drive in the snow drive you nuts.

Seriously if you don't know how to drive in the snow, stay home. You're a danger to society.

18. There is no "t" in mountains.

Well obviously there is but nobody pronounces it

19. We're not all stoners.

We know the entire state smells like weed, but I swear we're not all high all the time.

20. We have more sunny days than Miami.

True story: Colorado gets 300+ days of sunshine, even more than Miami, FL. So no, we're not all buried under snow all the time.

21. Everyone's obsessed with the outdoors.

With hiking, biking, skiing, rafting, walking, running, climbing, or even just exploring our great state, people are outside literally all the time.

22. The snow lasts well into "springtime."

If you're trying to convince yourself that the snow might finally be over, you're probably wrong.

23. It's highly possible to experience all 4 seasons in one day.

Source: MemeGenerator

24. There's never a good time to wash your car.

As soon as your car is clean, it will inevitably rain or snow.

25. The stars are unbelievable.

There's so much untouched land that you don't have to go far from the city to see the stars.

26. Road tripping to a tiny mountain town is the cutest way to spend the day.

Source: amypurdygirl

27. Yes, we are all hippies at heart.

Birkenstocks, dream catchers, and good vibes: what more could you want?

28. No, we are not all cowboys.

My uncle asked me if we all got our licenses super young since there's not a lot of civilization in Colorado. While there are some parts that are more rural, we don't all live in the middle of nowhere.

29. We also don't all live in the mountains.

Only the lucky few get to

30. It's the best state in the country.

Hands down, without a doubt, no questions asked. Colorado is undeniably the best place ever.