What Really Grinds Retail Employees' Gears - Part Two

Yeah, you guessed it...more things that irritate retail workers.

19
Bing

If you really thought that one article would be sufficient in highlighting annoying customer behaviors, then you must have never worked in retail at any point of your life. Here are some more ways customers grind employees' gears:

1. Asking a very vague question and expecting us to know exactly what you mean.

Whether it's someone at the pharmacy saying "It's the white pill" or saying "That fighting game with the big guy" in a video game store, it is super vague questions like that that can really drive us insane. I cannot get inside your head and know precisely what you are thinking. Give us some more details and maybe we will be able to actually help answer your question.

2. Walking away from a mess you made or something you knocked over.

What can take an extended period of time, such as straightening out shelves and setting up displays, can be destroyed in minutes by some inconsiderate jerk. If the person at least tries to help clean up the mess they had made, that is a plus. The worst is when someone, particularly someone's child, makes a mess and they walk away like nothing ever happened.

3. Calling the store outside of operating hours with non-urgent questions.

There is almost never any reason as to why whatever you are calling about cannot wait until the store is actually open for business. This is not a doctors office or a hospital. There is nothing which can be classified as an "emergency" in a retail environment.

4. Calling a store to ask about their operating hours.

There is this new thing called the Internet that is really catching on. It features search engines such as Google and Bing where you can input a word or phrase and you will be provided with information relating to your query. Unless you are currently driving a vehicle, there is almost no reason as to why you call a store just to see when they open or close.

5. Giving an associate an attitude over something they did not have any part of.

This can become an issue particularly when you are working at another store in your company's chain. Obviously many things are the same from store to store, such as company policy. I have had a few instances where I was in the middle of an issue I was not a part of. I can see where some people would get frustrated when something is not put on hold for them, but if I was not the person you spoke to, there is very little I can do. I am not trying to be mean here, but do try to put yourself in our shoes once in a while.

6. Thinking that we are an ATM.

Luckily my company does not offer cash back on debit purchases, but previous places I have worked at have offered that. The most I ever came across was $100. Typically, this is not a problem as people usually ask for much less. Occasionally, you get those who want to take out $200 or more in cash back. If you really need that much cash, consider using an actual ATM or go to your local bank, where they will be better equipped to serve your financial needs.