Learning To Dream For Yourself
Life Stages

You Dreamed Of Dreams I Was Too Afraid To Dream Of

We are put in a reality the moment we're born and we don't know how to get ourselves out of it.

49

Have you ever been afraid to dream? Scared to get your hopes up and get disappointed? So, you're stuck in this little tiny box of yours and you never know the extent that you can dream?

Like this one experiment that I heard people did. They stuck some grasshoppers in a jar or something and those grasshoppers eventually adapted and only jumped as high as the jar would let them. Your box is formed by the people around you.

"Mommy, I want to be an artist."

"No, honey, you need to focus on something that will get you far in life." And it's not anyone's fault because mom really is looking out for our best interest. She knows how harsh the world is, and she knows the reality of it.

"Hey, dad, I want to be a neurosurgeon."

"No, son, you'll be in debt for the rest of your life."

"Dad, I want to do something in business."

"Come on, son, dream bigger." But dad knew the world before we knew the world so he is trying his best.

It seems as if we can't please anyone. And honestly, their opinions in a twisted way is just because they're looking out for us. They want you to do amazing things without sacrificing your life to a life-long debt and being able to make a profit. But that builds the little square that we lock ourselves in.

Sometimes, we get out that box and we love it so much because we know we can do more than what they said. We know better than to listen to anyone but ourselves. Other times, we leave that box and we get knocked down and the only thing we want to do is go back into that box.

Whatever you do, don't get in the box.

I've been in the box for the past twenty years of my life. Trying to do something, anything that won't upset anyone. Make sure that what you do is honestly for you and your happiness.

So what if you're homeless? Rather homeless and happy than rich and miserable. But still, you dreamt of dreams that I was afraid of dreaming. To be successful: to be a doctor, a lawyer, a vet, or to be an artist.

To be someone I'd be happy to see myself being.

I dared to dream things that I couldn't have before.