At all points in life, it's easy to compare yourself to others. No matter how young or old we are, we are constantly looking at others and wondering "What if I was them?" We want what others have. We want what others look like. We want their clothes, relationship, friends, intelligence, body, or faith. We let ourselves believe that the grass is greener on their side. But they could be thinking the same thing about you.

Especially in the era of rampant social media use, it's tempting to compare ourselves. Whether it be about appearance, or the amount of likes or followers they have, we find something to compare. But just think about it for a moment: Don't we all post our highlights of our lives on social media? People don't post about their bad and ugly days on social media, or at least not very often. Instead, they post pictures of the last concert they went to with friends, a date they went on with their boyfriend, or even a picture of their Bible.

You don't know if they actually don't get along with those friends. You don't know if their relationship with their boyfriend is failing. You don't know if they actually read the Bible. You don't even know the last time they touched it.

Maybe those things they posted about were true and fun. But that doesn't mean they don't have struggles too. Maybe even some of the same struggles as me and you. If we're constantly seeking to be as good as others, we won't ever reach our goal, because we don't see the real people anymore. When you only see the highlights, you're only getting a glimpse into life, not a comprehensive look at every part.

Since you don't know the exacts ins-and-outs of others' daily lives, you really can't compare yourself to them. You might just be comparing apples to oranges.

Comparing yourself with others never ends. It's draining. You will always be able to pick out a flaw in yourself, because we all have flaws. But we don't have to keep comparing. We can find joy in knowing we were made to be unique.

So next time you go to compare yourself, remember that nobody has it all together. Maybe some people are just better at faking it.

"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."
Psalm 139:14