You Don't Have To Be Best Friends With Your Roommate

I promise, you're not the only one!

711
Teen Vogue

If you're currently a college student, or once were a college student, you know one of the many struggles that you have to face is sharing a room with another person. That idea can make your stress level sky rocket, especially if you decide to be assigned a random roommate. And so, you panic.

My advice to you? Please don't panic!

Life is all about taking risks... you'll never know how things will go until you try! The same applies for this scenario. A numerous amount of students I've talked to at my university seemed to be attached at the hip to their roommate since day one, or at least stay good friends years later. Think about it. That could very well be you!

Other times, people may not click with their roommate instantly, even if you've tried your hardest to befriend them. That's alright too!

Trust me, it's rough for both parties. Being crammed in a single room can already call for agitation. One roommate may have a different definition of a comfortable living space than you do, or come from a different background. However, if there's one thing I've learned from living with my roommate, it's that you don't have to be BFFs to make living together perfect. Rather, the key to living civilly only requires respect and good communication skills.

Seriously, even if you're not particularly partial to your roommate, you still need to respect them. Expressing that can be as easy as asking for permission if you need to touch their stuff, asking to have people over in advance, or keeping the noise down while they're trying to rest.

If something is on your chest, don't be afraid to let them know how you feel! You want to prevent things from blowing way out of proportion, and for your room to be a safe space for both of you. They aren't mind readers; the only way they're going to know how you feel is by telling them. And don't do it over a text. You'll get your problems resolved much quicker by just going to them directly, and prevent any unnecessary miscommunication.

Lastly, you two need to work together as a team to maintain the household! Don't expect one person to do all the work. Would you want someone to do that to you? Set up a system. Make a weekly list of chores (split up equally, of course!) with who's responsible for what. You'll not only get everything you'd like to get done in half the time, but you'll feel satisfied knowing that you have a clean and organized home to go to. You may also have something to bond over!

If all of this fails, don't be discouraged. Sometimes, it's just not meant to be, and it's out of your control. Speak with your RA. You don't sign the roommate agreement without a reason. It's meant to be enforced and ensure your ultimate satisfaction!

As much as you may want the first person you meet in college to be a good friend, it's not something to worry about. College is all about not only finding yourself, but meeting people who suit your personality, and you're bound to find them over the course of four years. And perhaps in that time, you'll find a friend, and a potential roommate too!