You Can't Say Hello Until You Say Goodbye

Your home will always stay where you left it, but an opportunity will not.

428
seanegriffin

On May 23rd, 2017 I took the chance of flying across the Atlantic Ocean by myself to study abroad in Ireland at a university that is much different than the small private college I attend in Milwaukee. Though I spent months planning the trip, I didn't allow the situation to hit me until I actually arrived in Limerick because I am miserable with goodbyes when it comes to both the people I love and the things I am used to. When I found myself in the middle of unprepared jetlag and instant homesickness, that's when it slapped me in the face. I couldn't say hello to a new experience without putting my life behind me, just for a few weeks. Being an independent person is my ultimate goal as far as my schooling and accomplishments. Allowing myself to dread the amazing experience that I spent thousands of dollars and a ton of time planning for would only sour my experience, so I was determined to put my average life at a halt in order to say hello to a once in a lifetime opportunity.

When I said goodbye to the one's closest to me, I was able to say hello to things that I had to confront on my own. I said hello to the idea that it is okay to ask for help, especially in the confusing airports. I have always been a go with the flow kind of girl, allowing others to take direction as I followed, not asking too many questions. Being alone, I found that paying attention to where I need to be and exactly what I need to do for myself will only help me become a more focused and attentive person. On top of that, I said hello to a whole new respect for myself, as I pushed myself to have the courage to do something that I never thought I would have the motivation to overcome.

Aside from things that scared me, I was able to say hello to a beautiful destination when I said goodbye to my normal life. I have seen pictures of Ireland's green hills and high cliffs, but they could not possibly compare to the surreal scene with wandering sheep, cows and dogs that I was seeing with my own eyes. When I stepped off of the plane in Shannon, it was easier to say hello to this fairy tail I was suddenly living in, than any other thing I've been introduced to back home. In the Irish Myths and Legends course that I am taking, I am able to interpret aspects of history that are not completely understood in the States, such as the difference between Hollywood's "fairies" and Ireland's "faeries", which are more dark, dangerous and scary. Leprechauns and St. Patrick are also thought to be "well-known" to those in America, but not even close to the description that Irish professors have identified.

I said hello to people with strong brogue accents that sounded much different from mine, which I love. Listening to Irish slang and quirky comments that catch me off guard have become one of my favorite things about traveling since I am the abnormal tourist, not them. The greatest part is that no one has the same accent since it differs all over Ireland. One thing's for sure; they are all amongst the friendliest group I've ever met, which better helps me say hello to a new country.

Leading up to my trip, I was weary about the unknown which is why I was so hesitant about leaving everything familiar to me. A few days before leaving the country, a coworker of mine reminded me of how proud I will be of myself to even make it onto a plane without the guidance of the people I thought I usually needed. I suddenly had all the motivation in the world to prove to myself that I could do anything. That is the essential inspiration needed to accomplish anything that may scare me in the future. It is said that we more often regret those things which we do not do than those which we do. If I had not walked into the airport on the day of departure, I would have been more disappointed than I would be right here in Limerick, even on the not-so-good days.