Just Be You

Just Be You

I am not afraid to share my true feelings, and you shouldn't be either!
7

I am guilty of something. OK, I am guilty of a lot of things, but in this article, I’m going to focus on one guilt in particular. I tend to blend in with my surroundings. Let me elaborate: I often base things I say or do on the people around me. I am not proud of this, but it is something I do quite often. I am like a chameleon, changing my color according to who I am with because sometimes being different than others scares me. I do not like conflict, and if my opinion differs from someone else, I get a little anxious and feel like there is no need to share what I think.

Why is this bad you ask? This is bad because no one has ever really known the real me because I do this. If you’re constantly agreeing with others for the sake of agreement, are you really being true to yourself or to others? No!

So, with this being said, here are some things I’d like you to know about me…

I am 20 years old but sometimes am mistaken for a middle schooler. I am the oldest of three, but people usually think I’m the youngest. Even though I never say it, this bothers me a little.

I procrastinate, and I am late very often. I also daydream and sing in the shower.

I love Jesus, but I know not everyone does, and I respect that. I believe that everyone should be able to love whoever they want, and I think all love is beautiful! Equality is extremely important to me.

My sense of fashion is a little eclectic; I like to wear dresses sometimes, but I also like to wear snapbacks and sweatpants other times. I love Doc Martens, even though my family thinks they’re ugly.

I don’t really understand the fascination with Harry Potter, but I’m glad it exists because, without it, we wouldn't have "A Very Potter Musical" (if you haven’t seen this, look it up on YouTube immediately). Speaking of musicals, I love them a lot. I would rather have tickets to a community theater production than go out and party on a Friday night. My taste in music ranges from country to show tunes to songs I heard on "Dance Moms" to Justin Bieber’s most recent album. I've seen Taylor Swift in concert three times, and I very much enjoy her music.

If you’re nice to me, I’ll be nice to you. If you’re not nice to me, I will probably still be nice to you, but will secretly not like you very much. I try to act tough sometimes, but I am incredibly sensitive. If you say something mean to me, I might cry later (or right in front of you).

I don’t say some of these facts about myself because I’m nervous about what people might think. But that is wrong. Always be true to yourself, and let the people around you know who you are! Do not ever hide anything about yourself because you’re afraid of how your peers will react. Everyone you meet will like you better once they know the real you, I promise.

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson